Chapter 19

When I reach the castle, I'm greeted by Flowey, guiding me towards my destination.

I ignore all of his stories and tales, only one mission on my mind. I come across an old bedroom, that doesn't look like it's been used in years. Resting on the floor, are two boxes.

I sit down next to them, taking the lid off the first one.

Inside is a silver heart locket. I can feel it beating.

I don't want to put it on, but I can feel Chara's power overcoming my own. I tear my face away, trying to stop her from controlling me into picking it up.

I open the second box, stepping away hurriedly when I see what's inside.

A sharp knife glints at me from the depths of the box.

I can see the faint outline of Chara, standing to my side. She grins widely, eyes glowing red. I snatch the knife from the box, then stomp out of the room as she smiles even wider.

"I don't want to go any further," I tell her.

"Don't you know who's waiting in the next room?" she asks, cocking her head.

"Do you?"

"I'll let you find out."

She disappears, leaving me in a stunned silence.

I cautiously walk into the next room, shocked by the sudden change of light reflected against the walls.

I take another step into the room, before breaking into a sprint, hoping that there's no one in here. I halt, hearing a familiar shuffling coming towards me.

He steps out of the shadows and my heart breaks in two.

"Heya. You've been busy, huh?"

My grip slackens on the knife that I'm ashamed to be holding.

"I've got a question for ya. Do you think even the worst person can change? That everybody can be a good person, if they just try?"

I anxiously take a step towards him, wanting to fling myself into his arms.

"Alright, here's a better question. Do you wanna have a bad time? 'Cause if you take another step forward... you're really not gonna like what happens next."

I pause, not wanting to move another inch.

But Chara's power overcomes mine, and I take a forced, regretful, and shaking step forward.

"Welp, sorry old lady. This is why I never make promises."

My heart starts to beat faster, and sweat trickles down my neck.

"It's a beautiful day outside, birds are singing, flowers are blooming... On days like these, kids like you... Should be burning in HELL."

These words sting me, but no tears come, I know that this is all my fault, and I seem to have run out of tears to cry.

A scream fills the air as he unleashes his first attack. I leap over the bones and flail around the beacons of light shot by the blasters. It finally occurs to me that the scream is mine.

Panting, I come to the conclusion that it's my turn. Chara stands by the 'fight' button, arm raised.

I run at her, screaming.

Pain engulfs me, but I hold on. Her power pushes against my chest, making it harder for me to breath. But I hold on. Chara whispers in my ear. But I block her out.

Memories flood through my mind. Toriel, dead. Papyrus, dead. Undyne, dead. Mettaton, dead.

The fury I have inside me channels itself into determination. The fury at Chara, the fury at the world, and the fury at myself.

My hair whips around my face, the pain becomes unbearable, but I hold on. There's no way I'll let go.

The grin on Chara's face slips, and it turns to anger. She pushes harder with her power, but I resist her with all the soul that I have left.

For the first time, my power overcomes hers, and she's blasted backwards, unconscious on the floor.

I should help her, but I have more important matters on my hands.

Throwing the knife on the floor, I run for the 'act' button.

And this time, no one stops me.

"I'm sorry!" I scream.

He doesn't hear me.

After another round of dodging, and I smash the 'act' button.

"Listen to me, Sans!" I cry, desperately.

His eyes narrow. He's listening, but he'd never care about what I have to say.

Bones materialise, and I run from them, leaping through the gaps, and ducking under the deadly beams.

I pound the 'act' button.

"I don't want to fight you! I never wanted to fight anyone!"

My shrieks are heard, but he ignores them.

I scream in terror as I'm flung against the wall, and I jump off my back before I'm hit by more bones.

"Please... Believe me!" I scream even louder.

"What about my brother? He believed in you!" he calls back.

I hang my head, knowing what he says is true.

I'm hoisted up into the air, more violently than before, and I twist and struggle.

When he lets go, I land on my feet, and run towards him.

'Act'.

"You know me Sans, we've met before!" I cry.

He falters for a second, blinks, then shakes his head.

I trip over my feet and fall backwards, stumbling away from the bones sprouting from the ground. I roll over, leap to my feet and then collapse back onto my knees.

My hair is falling over my face, hiding my eyes from his view. I pant, shaking on my arms as I try and push myself back onto my feet.

"Hey."

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I look up into Sans' eyes.

"I do think, that inside you, there's a glimmer of a good person. Someone who... in another time... might have even been... a friend? C'mon buddy... Let's just forget all this, okay?"

I slowly inhale.

Sans is sparing me.

Without thinking twice, I hit the 'mercy' button.

"You're sparing me? I won't let this choice go to waste. C'mere buddy... C'mere... pal."

He holds out his arms, and I leap into them, pressing my lips to his smile.

Sans' eyes widen with understanding mixed in with confusion.

I kiss him as a bone impales me through the middle.

"No! NO! No no no!" he shouts, putting his arms around me.

I put my hand up to his cheek.

"I-I love you, Sans..."