Chapter 20

She leaps into my arms. This was easier than I thought.

I'm startled when she presses her lips against my teeth. I want to back away, but her kiss seems so familiar.

Suddenly, memories come rushing back. Memories from other timelines, memories that don't only belong to me, but to her.

I see her kneeling over Toriel, I see her crying over Papyrus, I see her sobbing into her hands as she waits for the end to come.

This recollection lasts for hours to me, but to her, it's a mere second.

I remember her name, I remember her voice, I remember her kiss.

Behind her in every scene, stands Chara, controlling her and forcing her to kill.

I'm suddenly brought back to my own timeline.

I cry out in alarm as the bone impales her. I'd forgotten I'd told it to kill her.

"No! NO! No no no!" I shout, placing my arms around her, trying to save her.

She brushes my cheek with her hand.

"I-I love you, Sans..."

Her eyes close and I let out a scream.

"Don't die on me!" I cry, tears falling down my face.

I step back. Her soul is rising from her body, glowing a bright red.

"Take it," a voice whispers from behind me.

I turn around and see Chara standing there, eyes glowing red as well.

"No Chara," I say, voice soft, but still able to be heard.

"What? How do you know my name?" she says, looking slightly taken aback.

"How could you do this to her?" I ask, gesturing towards Frisk, who lays, motionless, upon the ground.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she replies, almost casual.

"What do you want, that is so important, that you'd put her, an innocent person with no corrupt bone in her body, through all the pain and suffering that she's endured?" I ask, voice filled with anger, but asserted all the same.

"Pain and suffering? People die. So do monsters. The sooner she learns that, the better," Chara says, shrugging.

"They were her friends!" I shout, "And you forced her to kill them!" I shout, standing up.

"How do you know this? Did she tell you?" Chara sneers, "I wouldn't believe one single word that falls from her mouth."

"The words that fall, maybe, but her tears, they're a different story!" I shout, finally shaking with my anger.

"She lies Sans, that's who she is, a lying, manipulative, and bloodthirsty human. Nothing more, and never anything less," Chara says, smiling slightly.

I take a deep breath. If I attack, I might accidentally swallow her soul. I can't let that happen.

"You're wrong. She was the most caring person that ever walked the Surface and the Underground combined!" I scream.

"Believe what you want, that doesn't change what she did," Chara replies.

"She never did anything. It was you. You forced her to reset, you controlled her until she killed everyone, you are the person to blame!" I cry.

Fear flashes across her face.

"Tell me, how do you know this? Did the reset not work?' she asks, sounding slightly scared.