Chapter 4

Roaring thunders in my ears as the wind threatens to blow me off the large rock I'm clinging desperately to. The waves lash out at my body, trying to pull me into the dark water. I can't let go, if I do I'll die. My hands become bloody as they are scraped over the rough surface. The water tastes bitter on my tongue, it's so dark I can barely see.

But I can hear something, a cry that makes my blood run cold.

Anna!

She's in the water! Drowning!

I force myself to stand, battling against the wind and waves. I search the raging sea for any sign of Anna, and a flash of red hair catches my eye.

Without thinking I dive into the water, except it doesn't feel like water at all. It's thick and clings to me as I fight to reach my sister, I can still hear her screaming for me. But the water keeps dragging me down. Soon my head is under, and the world goes black.

I twist and claw at the darkness, I can't breathe, everything is dark.

My eyes sting, my lungs are burning, I'm being pulled even further down.

Air.

I need air.

Which way is up?

Eyes, burning.

I can't hear anything.

Air.

I'm still falling.

I have to breathe.

Don't.

I'll die, I can't die.

Breathe!

I open my mouth and the darkness enters. I can feel it going down my throat, and spreading to the rest of me. I try to close my mouth but I can't even move.

I'm trapped.

I want to scream.

The silence deafens me.

Then I hear a voice, so soft and still, but the words are haunting.

Endless shadows, endless night

You cannot escape the eternal night

I know someone is there, I can feel their presence as the move through the darkness, coming closer to me.

Dark by night, dark by day

I can see your soul fading away

I search the darkness and see a shape coming towards me, I try to move but the shadows keep me still.

The figure is right in front of me, I feel a hand brushing gently against my face, I shudder at the touch.

You cannot escape the eternal dark

For into it you once embarked

Two hands grab my head and pull me forward, I can do nothing.

My forehead is pressed against something cold, fire floods into my body, but I still can't scream.

Fingers twist into my hair, any attempt I make to pull away is met with pain.

You...

Belong...

To me.

Fire floods my vision, and when it feels as if I'm being torn apart, is when I can finally scream. I kick and thrash as something forces itself into me. I feel it coming through my skin, my mouth, eyes, ears, and I am powerless to stop the darkness from entering me.