Chapter 22

I groan and force my eyes open.

What happened last night?

Or has it been days?

I don't even remember...

I roll over only to find myself falling, and eventually colliding with the floor. I bite back a curse and grab the side of the bed to pull myself back up.

Wait, bed?

I look down and see a bed, it's soft with a thick white blanket covering it, although half of the blanket is hanging on the floor from where I fell off. That's when I notice my clothes. Instead of being dressed in black, I'm wearing all white. I'm also barefoot with my hair hanging loosely over my shoulders, why do I keep waking up either missing my clothes or wearing new ones?

I search the small room for any sign of my usual black shirt or even my cloak. I feel uncomfortable in these white clothes, they're too clean, too loose, and the shirt doesn't have sleeves. I hate having my arms exposed! In fact, I hate having any part of my skin exposed. I don't have to tell you my reasons either, you've been following me around long enough to figure it out.

Anyways, I search through a tall, dark wood wardrobe and only find grey and white clothes. Why don't any of these shirts have sleeves? And what about boots? I hate being barefoot! I can't find my cloak anywhere, I couldn't have lost another one. If Pallando finds out I lost this cloak he'll-

I freeze where I stand. My hand nearly tears the grey shirt I'm holding.

Pallando, the amulet, shadows, Darovel, Morwen, Daeris, Oroth, Faervel, Ramben!

I run towards the door, crashing into it instead of opening it. I shake my head run towards it again, this time throwing it open and tearing down the hall like a madman. I don't see where I'm going, where am I going?

All the memories...

Everything that happened...

It's all coming back.

"Amarth!" Someone is running behind me but I ignore them. I remember Pallando giving me the amulet, not knowing whether he lives or not.

"Amarth stop!"

The shadows, they were hunting me.

Morwen, she's alive.

Daeris.

She tried to take me...

She tried to kill them...

Ramben!

Something hard collides into my back and two arms wrap around me. I struggle against them and free my arm. I slam my elbow into my captor's stomach and his grip lessens, but not enough for him to release me.

"Amarth it's me! Calm down before you hurt yourself!"
"Darovel?" I pause and look over my shoulder, sure enough, it is the human whom I met in Minas Tirith.
"Are you alright?" He asks releasing me, though he still seems wary.
"Am I alright?! I wake up in this strange place not remembering a thing! Then I suddenly remember everything, I'm panicking because I don't know where I am or how I got here, and where is Ramben?!"

Darovel opens his mouth as if he's about to answer before closing it. What's he hiding from me?
"How much do you remember?" He asks finally.
"I remember you all napping when Daeris tried to take me again." I narrow my eyes but he doesn't react to my open hostility. "I know that someone named Faervel drove her away, and I also know that Ramben almost died. Now where is he?"

I'm nearing the end of my rope. If I don't get answers soon someone is going to have to answer for it. Darovel sighs and glances over my shoulder. I follow his gaze but I don't see anything.
"Come with me." He walks forward without another word, and of course, I follow. I notice for the first time that Darovel is wearing the same clothing as I am, except it's grey, and he has sleeves.