Chapter 29

I think I've succeeded in making everyone angry with me. If they're not angry, then they are most certainly avoiding me. I've hardly spoken with Pallando since my little outburst, Anna has shut herself in her room, Darovel is always off training, I don't care where Morwen is at the moment, and Legolas still hasn't come back from the forest.

The only person who bothers to talk to me anymore is Faervel, and it's mostly him teaching me about the amulet. I wish I could say I've been enlightened about its power and how to control it, but all Faervel has told me so far consists of him explaining things about it that I already know. One thing I found interesting though is how it not only looks into memories; but can reveal a person's thoughts and emotions as well.

Faervel is trying to teach me how to control that ability, which is not going well. I can hardly get close to anyone without the amulet acting up. I don't want another repeat of what happened with Legolas. The memories came because I had touched him and nothing good came from that episode. Now that I think about it, it's almost been a week since that elf ran off and there hasn't been a sign of him anywhere.

Am I worried? Of course not! When has anything bad ever happened to Legolas after he gets upset and runs into the forest by himself?

Do not answer that. 

If there's anyone I'm worried about it's Anna. I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet about all of the madness regarding Legolas. I tried to reach her several times and she's always pushed me away. It hurts seeing her like this, she never hid things from me. Of course, that was before I had changed. While Anna seemed happy to see me at first, it didn't take long for me to notice that she wasn't herself around me.

She acts the way she did after I rescued her from Rhun.
Afraid, skittish, nervous. 
I tried so hard to push those days out of my mind to the point where I began to deny their existence completely. As if they were all just a bad dream. The memories I kept were those of Anna in our village; when she was happy and carefree, kind and loving.

Where has that girl gone? 

I sigh and look up at the door Faervel went through. I'm currently in his room waiting for him to come back. After several failed attempts to control the amulet he's excused himself to go retrieve something. I feel like I've been here for hours. I have to give Faervel credit, out of all the people I've met he's been the most patient with me. In fact, I don't think he's gotten mad at me once.

Usually when that happens I see just how long it takes for me to drive that said person crazy. With Faervel, I don't want to make him mad. 
Even though he is one of the most unsettling people I've ever encountered, there's just something about him that makes me want to avoid upsetting him. Even though he's already upset me multiple times...

"Sorry to keep you waiting Amarth." Faervel walks into the room and closes the door behind him. I immediately notice that he's holding something in his hands.
"What's that?" I ask standing up. 
"Since you've been having difficulty in controlling the amulet, I made something that will help prevent another incident from happening." 

I flinch when he says that. I know he's talking about what happened with me, Legolas, and Anna. I ended up telling him about the whole thing (save for some minor details) and asked him for advice. What did he tell me? Learn how to control the amulet.
Well, that plan has clearly gone under. I'm curious to see what Faervel has made to solve this little dilemma of ours. 

"Hold out your hands please," he orders. I do as he says and watches skeptically while Faervel slides a pair of gloves over my hands.
"These will prevent you from accessing other people's memories," he explains while adjusting the gloves, "emotions you will still be able to sense, but everything else will be blocked." After releasing my hands I inspect the gloves.

They're dark grey like the rest of my clothes and don't appear to be made of leather, or any other material that I'm aware of. 
"How exactly were you able to make all of this stuff so quickly?" I lower my hands. "The weapons, these gloves, it's all been rather convenient hasn't it?"
Faervel chuckles. "I had most of it made before any of you ever arrived. The weapons and gloves have been waiting to be used for awhile." 
Now I'm slightly concerned, did he know that we would be coming? 

"I know you have a lot of questions about me Amarth, and I would gladly answer them all for you, but we simply do not have the time." 
"You've hardly answered the questions that I have asked," I point out sharply. With Faervel he rarely gives a straight answer to anything regarding himself or his current actions. Granted, he did give us his backstory, but how much did he leave out?