Chapter 10

I've learned something about myself today.
When it comes to stealth: I am a failure.

Darovel and I were probably inside for three minutes before we were discovered, and don't listen to Darovel if he says that it was my fault because it certainly was not. Now we have been surrounded by Thilan's guards and thanks to Darovel refusing to kill anyone, things look bleak for us.  

Again if I were alone I'd have no problem getting out of this mess. I wouldn't be handing my weapons over to these sorry excuses for guards. Three of them have loaded crossbows aimed at us and are currently the only thing keeping us from fighting back. The bow and arrows I don't mind giving over, I only use a bow when necessary. But I don't want to hand over my swords. I've been through so much with these swords, out of all the ones I've stolen these are my favorite.

Alas, when one has three crossbows aimed at himself, it leaves him with no choice but to hand over his weapons. Darovel has his bow taken from him too, and a dagger that he wears at his side. The guards haven't searched us for any more weapons which I find odd, and humorous at the same time. What man doesn't know to check their prisoners for extra weapons? I myself have two knives hidden in my boots, and I assume that Darovel has throwing knives hidden everywhere.

However if they don't want to search then I'm not complaining. They may not be my swords but having two knives is better than being completely weaponless. 
"Start moving!" One of the men holding a crossbow orders.

Since we have little choice in the matter Darovel and I do as we're told. There are ten guards surrounding us, three with their armed crossbows. I'm a bit uncomfortable at the moment because during the struggle (that was not caused by me) my hood had fallen off. Fortunately my hair covers my pointy ears and no one has questioned my long hair. I just hope that my ears don't decide to make an unwanted appearance.

The last thing I need is to be apart of Thilan's Elf collection. We enter what seems to be the main room of the house, there's not really much to look at. Unless you count two dying plants interesting. We stand there in silence for a few minutes so I look over at Darovel to see how he's doing. At the moment he is glaring at me with a very irritated look on his face, of course he would blame me for this, even though it's not my fault. Suddenly Thilan storms into the room looking the exact opposite of what I'm used to seeing him like.

He's no longer calm and collected, in fact it looks as if he's about to explode. His face reminds me of a tomato. What slightly worries me is the fact that Ramben is nowhere to be seen, where is he being kept?
"How many times must I kill you?!" Thilan shouts.

I look over my shoulder at a guard standing behind me, then look back at Thilan with a confused expression and point to the guard.
"Are you talking to him or me?"

Darovel breathes heavily out of his knows and pinches the bridge of his nose. What? He didn't think that was funny? I've done that plenty of times and I think it's very amusing. Thilan isn't amused in the slightest, he has calmed down some though.

"You should watch that tongue of yours, one more slip up and I'll cut it out." He growls. I'm very tempted to stick my tongue out and "watch it" as I was told to, but I don't think I could survive without hearing my smooth voice, so I refrain from the childish action. Thilan's attention moves from me to Darovel.

"And you," he snarls, "I was told that you were dead."
"Whoever told you was lying." There's no sarcasm to be found in Darovel's voice, the man is too good for his own good which isn't good. Great, now "good" no longer sounds like a real word to me...

"Have you finally come to kill me?" Thilan asks in a mocking tone.
"I've come to make you answer for your crimes, death will follow after."
"What right do you have? You are no soldier, just a man playing the hero. I've never killed a person in my life but how many have you killed Darovel?"