Chapter 24

I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

This is just a dream, this has all just been some crazy, very realistic multi-chapter dream where I narrate everything that's happening.

I'm going to wake up in my old room at Pallando's any minute now and tell him all about this insane dream of mine while he scolds me about staying up too late and reading those stories about myths and legends that I am so fond of. 

When I open my eyes I won't be in a strange forest, with all these strange people, or a bothersome elf from my past standing in front of me.

I open my eyes.

"Are you alright?" Legolas asks, frowning slightly. 
"Yes," I say nodding slowly, "I'm feeling just fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Nope."

Then I faint.

/\\//\\/

"I think he's waking up."

Stifling a groan I cautiously open one eye.  I see Darovel and Faervel looking down at me, and it only takes me a minute to realize what just happened. 

I fainted.

I close my eye again and this time I groan.

I can't believe I fainted; how embarrassing. 

"Amarth can you hear me?" Darovel asks.
"With how loud you're talking how could I not?" I mutter resting one of my hands on my forehead. 
"Can you sit up?" 
I mutter something incoherent as I open my eyes and push myself into a sitting position. I'm not on the floor, I'm on a bed but not the one I've been sleeping in. Darovel is holding a cup of water in front of me and I take it, shrugging away from him when he tries to help me drink.

"How are you feeling Amarth?" The human questions taking the cup from me when I'm done. I haven't said or done anything sarcastic lately, why not do it now? I grab my arm with my hand and reply, "Like an elf."

Darovel groans and once again pinches the bridge of his nose. I notice Faervel out of the corner of my eye, he doesn't seem amused or annoyed at all. Then I hear it; laughter.
I  glance behind Darovel and sure enough, in all his perfect elf likeness, is Legolas. The moment our eyes meet the laughter ends, but a shy smile remains on his face.

A million thoughts are racing through my head: What is he doing here? How did he get here? Why isn't he in the Undying Lands? 

Huh, I guess I only had three thoughts...

The silence was getting uncomfortable so I decided to break it.
"Hello Greenleaf." 
He chuckles, that same smile still on his face. "I never thought I'd hear anyone call me that again." 
Has he always smiled this much? The Legolas I remember hardly ever smiled; in fact now that I think about it, he always looked confused if he was never being spoken to directly.

Another thing I notice about him is that he looks different.
"Did you do something with your hair?" I ask.
He glances at his hair that's draped over his shoulders. "It's shorter than it used to be."
"What about your eyes? They look brighter."
He shrugs. 
"Even your face, you look young."
"Well, I am an elf Amarth."
"No! You look younger since the last time I saw you. Is this what happens when elves sail over to their magical island?"

Legolas' smile vanishes. His eyes dim every so slightly.
Did I say something wrong again? 
"There is a reason why he looks different Amarth." Faervel walks over to where Legolas is standing. "He is still recovering his memories, and his appearance is changing with all that he regains." 
Upon hearing this Legolas reaches into his shirt and pulls out the amulet, the stone is still glowing. 
"How much do you remember Legolas?" Faervel asks, I notice that he's being more gentle with him than he is with me.