Chapter 32

Everything is falling to pieces.

I can't think, can hardly breathe.

I can only run.

Run and carry a near-dead elf in my arms. I try not to look down but I can't help it. My eyes continue to stare in horror at Legolas' pale face. Although, pale isn't the word to describe him right now. He's nearly translucent, like glass, but that is not all I see. Again, I wish that I had never been given this stupid amulet!

On Legolas' chest, where the shadow stabbed him, is darkness. Its poison is spreading throughout his feä, wrapping around him like vines. His eyes remained closed. I can feel his soul slipping away with each passing moment. I mutter a curse under my breath and look away. We're still in the forest.
We can't stop yet, I need Legolas to hold on for just a little longer.
He's strong, he'll make it.

As always doubt creeps into my mind.
Will he?
I shake my head and glance over my shoulder. Everyone's following, silent. I can sense all of their fear.

Or is it my own?

A soft moan escapes Legolas. I look down to see a grimace on his face, followed by another moan of pain.
"Hang on Greenleaf," I urge quietly, "please hang on."
He falls silent, and I keep running.

/\\//\\/

We've made it out of the forest, but we still haven't stopped yet. I push everyone until the forest is out of sight. Or at least, out of sight of anyone who isn't an elf. I can still see the outskirts of the forest, and my heart twists at the sight. Knowing that somewhere inside, Faervel is dying.

I want to go back.
I want to find Oroth and beg him to take me instead, to let me exchange my life for Faervel's.
After all, it's what I deserve, isn't it?

"Amarth, we must rest, and see what can be done for Legolas," Pallando says coming to stand beside me. I nod without meeting his gaze and gently lower Legolas onto the ground. He's become even paler, and the darkness is still spreading. It's covered most of his torso and is slowly starting to snake its way down his arms and legs.

I crouch down beside him and Pallando joins me.
"Can you do anything?" I ask. Pallando sighs and shakes his head.
"Amarth, this is beyond any skill I possess. I can do nothing for him."
"What do you mean?! You're the healer Pallando! You saved me why can't you save him?!"
He flinches, clearly hurt but I take no notice. I'll just add it to my evergrowing list of things I have to be guilty about.

"Caran please, don't be angry with him."
Now it's my turn to flinch. I turn around to see Anna. Her eyes are clouded over and brimming with tears. In her hands, she holds Legolas' bow. I know that Legolas sacrificed himself for her. No one had to tell me, I just knew.
"Amarth," Pallando grabs my arm and turns my attention back to Legolas. My eyes widen when I see that the darkness has stopped spreading, and he isn't as pale as before. There's also a familiar glow surrounding him.

When I look at Anna again I see the same glowing around her.
"Anna, can you come here, please?"
She walks over and the light around her and Legolas grows brighter.
"It's slowing down," I murmur to myself.
"Amarth?" Pallando asks.
Right, he can't see what I'm seeing.
"His feä is drawing strength from Anna's," I explain quickly.