Chapter 15

Ramben's POV

He kept his head lowered; eyes trained on the floor and hands shaking as they gripped the sides of the chair he sat in. Oroth had brought him here but had yet to say anything to him. The dark being only stared at Ramben, one of his hands holding Amarth's amulet. It scared Ramben to see Oroth with it; the amulet was the reason why Oroth brought Amarth here, but now that he had it what would he do to him?

What had he done to him?

Ramben glanced up at Oroth and shuddered. Unlike with Thilan there was no sorrow in this man's eyes; just hatred. This wasn't a man who had fallen into darkness, he had chosen it. Ramben shivered and lowered his eyes again. He wished that they hadn't been brought here, why hadn't he warned them in time? He'd felt the shadows coming why didn't he say something?

"What are you?" Oroth's voice made the elfling jump. It wasn't the question Ramben had been expecting, what did he mean by that?
"I-I'm an Elf." Ramben mumbled.
"And how do you know that?" Oroth demanded.
"A-Amarth t-told me." Silence followed Ramben's words; then he felt a strong hand under his chin, lifting his face and forcing him to meet Oroth's dark gaze.

"Amarth knows nothing," Oroth growled, "he only believes what his eyes see, never bothering to take the time to truly study something."
Ramben winced as he tightened his grip, fingers digging into his skin.
"He says you are an Elf and in a way he is right," Oroth narrowed his eyes, "but we both know that you are much more than that."

Oroth released him roughly, nearly throwing him out of the chair. Ramben rubbed his bruised faced, his entire body now trembling.
"W-what do y-you mean? I'm a-an Elf." To the elfling's confusion Oroth laughed; it was a cruel, dry laugh that did not last long.
"Either you are lying to me or you are just stupid." His words hurt and Ramben flinched as if he'd been struck. He didn't know why they affected him the way they did, perhaps the answer was another memory he had yet to discover.

Gathering some courage Ramben stood and did his best to stop trembling.
"I'm not stupid. I am an Elf, I know I am." His voice shook and his hands were sweating; towering over him Oroth did not seem impressed with his statement.
"What is your name?" This threw Ramben off for a second, should he answer?
"Ramben."
"Wanderer? Did your parents give you this name?"

Another question Ramben was hesitant to answer. Oroth was staring at him with those dark eyes; there was malice and a promise of suffering in those eyes. Swallowing a lump in his throat Ramben answered.
"I-I don't remember who my parents were. Amarth gave me my name."
Oroth's brows raised and a curious look entered his cold gaze. A wave of dread washed over Ramben in that moment, though he did not know why.

"You do not remember your parents?" There was no concern or pity in his voice; in fact Oroth's face was twisted in a sick grin, as if he were enjoying the fact that Ramben had no memory of his parents. He didn't want to answer but, knowing that he didn't have a choice, he shook his head.
"What about your past? How did you come to be with Amarth?" Oroth stepped forward and Ramben quickly moved backwards.

"I-I don't re-remember any-anything. I-I found A-Amarth in the f-f-forest." Ramben's back hit the wall and he yelped; Oroth now stood over him, he was trapped.
"Hmm, this is interesting. Perhaps you are not stupid after all, or at least not as stupid as I first believed."
Again Ramben flinched, why did his words hurt him so much?
Oroth studied him for a moment, his head tilted slightly to the side.
"There are many secrets hidden in that mind of yours Ramben." Oroth lifted up the amulet to where Ramben could see it; his eyes followed the amulet as it swung back and forth in front of him.
"And I," Oroth continued, "am going to find out every single one."