Chapter 30

I try to run but when I move my legs give out and I collapse. The pain in my side is unbearable, I keep my hand pressed against it. Oroth draws closer, he is nothing like how I remember him. He's at least twice as tall than he was before, shadows swirl around him like a cloak and his eyes are completely black. 

I look around desperately for an escape but shadows surround the clearing, not coming closer but keeping me trapped. I could try to make a run for it, but with the pain in my side and Oroth standing right in front of me, it wouldn't be wise for me to risk it. I wish for the millionth time that I had some kind of weapon with me.

"You should have known better Amarth, no one can escape the Queen of Shadows." 
Even his voice has changed. I make another feeble attempt at escape when Oroth suddenly appears in front of me. I back as close as I can against the tree. My heart hammers in my chest. I have never been more terrified in my entire life, but I won't let him see that. 

"It seems that you are injured," he presses his hand against my side and I squeeze my eyes shut. 
"That wasn't supposed to happen, Daeris gave strict orders to leave you unharmed." 
His hand falls away and I risk opening my eyes again. Oroth is staring at me, his eyes fixed on the spot where I'm in pain. My ribs are broken thanks to Oroth throwing me into the tree. Every time I breathe it feels like I'm swallowing fire. 

Oroth turns towards the shadows that are lurking nearby. 
"Go hunt, my shadows. Keep him busy."
The shadows race into the forest and I'm left alone with Oroth. He fixes his dark eyes on me once again. A smile of fake sympathy has appeared on his face as he crouches in front of me.
"I cannot bring you to my Queen injured. No, you must be perfect for her."
A lump forms in my throat and my hands start to shake. I want to move but it feels like I've been frozen in place. 

I shudder as Oroth reaches his hand under my shirt. My skin turns to ice under his touch. His hand presses into my side and I close my eyes again. I moan when the darkness begins to fill me. I can't let it inside, I cannot allow it to heal me. I grit my teeth and fight against it.

"Why are you resisting Amarth? You already have the darkness inside of you, just let it heal you."

It hurts.
My body begins to jerk as I fight.
I can't let it in, there's already too much.

"The pain will end if you just let the darkness heal you."

No.
I have to resist.
A scream tears itself from my throat and my body thrashes even more violently.

Fight it, fight it!

But the pain, it's too much...

Am I truly this weak? Fight it you coward!

I can't.

I

Just

Can't.

The pain fades away as the darkness enters. My broken ribs are mended. I've let the darkness in.

I lower my head, every breath I take brings me to shudder. 
A single tear falls from my eye. 

"There, was that so hard?" 
I raise my head and meet his gaze. There is no defiance in my eyes. No anger, no sorrow.
There is only defeat.

"Stand up," he orders. I have no choice but to obey. 
"Are you going to fight me?"
I shake my head.
Oroth smiles wickedly. 
"Good, you are finally learning."

I remain silent as he grabs my arm.
I do not fight as he drags me away into the forest.

/\\//\\/

Darovel's POV

He could hear the shadows closing in on him but he refused to risk looking over his shoulder. He tried running as fast as he could but his limp was hindering him. Claws tore at his back but only succeeded in tearing his shirt.

Next time I won't be so lucky...

Darovel's eyes flicked upwards at the roof. Even now more shadows were tearing into it. How many were in the forest? How had they gotten here without them knowing? He skidded to a stop as a shadow dropped in front of him, its teeth bared in a snarl. Quickly he drew his sword and hacked at the beast. It yowled in pain but it did not fall.

Had this been any other foe the blow would have been fatal, but it wasn't. Darovel ran past the shadow just as more appeared he swung his sword out at any that got too close, yet he was rapidly being overwhelmed. Not only was he currently fighting for his life, he was worried sick about Amarth. He'd lost sight of him almost as soon as the shadows attacked, where was he now?

"Darovel!" 
He recognized Morwen's voice and saw her running towards him with her sword in hand. Quickly Darovel dropped to the ground just as a shadow leapt into the air, intent on killing him. In one swift motion, Morwen sliced the creature's head off. Darovel rolled out of the way to avoid the shadow's body as it fell onto the floor. 

"Are you alright?" Morwen asked helping him to his feet.
"I'm fine." He looked back in the direction he'd come from. Several shadows were abandoning the house and climbing down the trees. A low growl from behind alerted the two of another shadow. 

He spun around just as the shadow sprang at him. Before he could even raise his sword something struck the shadow on its side sending it crashing onto the floor. Darovel watched in amazement as Pallando appeared with his staff in hand. The shadow pushed itself to its feet only to be struck once again by Pallando. 

The shadow crumpled to the floor. Pallando then raised his staff and pierced the shadow in the head. The creature let out a shriek before vanishing from sight. Pallando sighed and leaned heavily on his staff, which Darovel noticed had a sharp edge instead of a smooth one.
"I'm getting too old for this," he muttered.

Darovel chuckled before remembering Amarth, and all his amusement fled. 
"Amarth is down there, the shadows are after him!" 
Pallando's face paled in fear. When Darovel turned to Morwen he was startled to see a lack of concern on her face. Yes, there was some, but she was certainly not as fearful as she was when Amarth had been taken by Daeris.

"Do you know where Faervel is?" Pallando asked him. Darovel shook his head, he hadn't seen Faervel all day. 
"There are more shadows back the way I came," Pallando informed them, "if we are going to get to Amarth we'll have to fight our way through." Glancing over Darovel's shoulder, Pallando walked towards the shadow that Morwen had beheaded. He quickly pierced the shadow in the heart and the body faded. 

Only some of us can kill the shadows, Darovel thought.
"The shadows have either gone to the ground or back the way you came," Morwen said looking behind her before turning to him. "We won't have to worry about being pursued from behind, but still we should be wary."
Darovel nodded and he and Morwen prepared to set off when Pallando spoke up.
"Where is Anna?"

Darovel froze, fear washing over him. He turned to Pallando who had the same look of fear on his face. She was still in her room! 
"I will go find her," Morwen announced, "both of you go. Amarth needs you."
"You can't go by yourself!" Darovel argued.
"The longer you stay here the more danger they will be in," Morwen narrowed her eyes, "I can take care of myself. Please, go with Pallando."

Darovel hesitated, then nodded. Gripping her sword Morwen started down the hall towards Anna's room.
"Be careful!" Darovel called after her. She paused for a moment and looked over her shoulder.
"I will." With that she took off in a run, disappearing down the hall. 
"Come Darovel, we don't have much time." 

Darovel nodded and with Pallando in the lead, the two ran down the hall. Both praying that they weren't too late to help their friend.

/\\//\\/