Chapter 28

(A/N this chapter will have some brief mentions of certain sensitive subjects. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING RATED "M" AND ABSOLUTELY NO DETAILS. This subject will be mentioned briefly, but I know that I have some younger readers and just thought that'd I give you a heads up. Enough rambling, on with the story!)

/\\//\\/

Morwen's POV

She held her new sword tightly, adjusting herself to its weight. Faervel had made it especially for her; with a silver hilt and sharp steel, it was the most beautiful weapon she had ever laid eyes on. Morwen was alone in a clearing that Faervel had shown her, it was a few miles from his home but she wasn't worried about getting lost or forgetting the way back. In fact, she wasn't in a hurry to return to the others. She'd been longing for some time alone, away from all the madness she'd been swept up in, away from Amarth...

Morwen shivered and quickly banished the dark elf from her mind. After all of this was over (and if she wasn't killed) she planned to get as far away from him as possible. This time, there would be no going back to him. Twice she'd fallen for that elf, and both times her heart had been broken, why?

Why did this have to happen to her? All she'd ever wanted was to be loved, and to have someone to love as well.
And I thought that Amarth could give me that? No! I was a fool to believe that a monster like him could ever love anyone other than himself. He's heartless...

Was he?

Morwen sighed and looked down at her sword, her face reflecting in the smooth steel. She didn't know what to think about Amarth, and at this point she was done trying to figure him out. What was the point? Why waste her time and energy over an elf who never even glanced in her direction anymore?

So lost was she in her thoughts that she didn't hear the uneven footsteps approaching. It was only after Darovel cleared his throat that Morwen turned around.
"I thought I'd find you out here," he smiled at her as he always did. Although Morwen noticed that his eyes were not as bright as they used to be. She glanced briefly at his injured leg before meeting his gaze.

"What brings you here Darovel?" Morwen asked keeping her tone neutral.
"Faervel suggested that we practice fighting together. Since we are the only ones who cannot kill the shadows we might as well learn how to work with each other."
There was a sword hanging at Darovel's side, similar to Morwen's but with a dark brown hilt instead of silver.
"I thought swords were not your ideal weapons." She commented.
Darovel chuckled. "Well, they're not. But thanks to this-" he patted his right leg "-I won't be able to use throwing knives like I used to. In short I need someone to teach me how to use this thing."

"So you need a woman to teach you how to wield a sword?" A grin appeared on her face as she ran her fingers over the smooth side of her blade.
"Everyone else was busy, you were my only option."
Morwen's smile vanished, but quickly returned when she saw the mirth in Darovel's eyes. It was nice to jest with one another and forget about the enemy they would soon face. For now, Morwen was content to remain in this forest and not have a care in the world.

"I wanted to ask you Morwen, have you been feeling alright?" Darovel's question caught her off guard and it took her a moment to answer.
"What do you mean?"
"You've been avoiding everyone for the last few days, and you've been quiet. Is something wrong?"
She stiffened when she remembered Amarth kissing her, and what followed afterwards. She never wanted to think about that ever again, if only she could banish it from her mind altogether.

Darovel seemed to sense that the subject made her uncomfortable so he quickly moved on.
"How about teaching me how to use this thing without slicing my hand off?" He drew his sword and held it out to her. Morwen shook herself and tried to focus on the task at hand, even offering a small grin at his comment.
"Well first of all, when offering someone a sword you keep the hilt downwards."
Face red, Darovel quickly positioned his sword the right way.
"I knew that."