Chapter 16

Morwen's POV

Ramben's body trembled and he gripped her hand tighter. Morwen rubbed the elfing's arm gently while his head rested on her lap. The poor child hadn't moved since he'd been brought back yesterday. Morwen had tried to get some words out of Ramben but he remained silent with tears in his eyes. She sighed and turned her face towards Darovel; he'd regained consciousness early that day and was quietly assessing the damage that had been inflicted on him.

Morwen dared not tell him what she had done to heal his hand. How would he react if he found out? She lowered her gaze and stared absently at Ramben's golden hair. He was truly a beautiful child, his presence offered her some comfort in this foul place. And yet, she wished that he didn't have to be here at all. This was no place for someone like Ramben; she herself was used to it having grown up in Mordor. Morwen couldn't be sure about Darovel, despite their situation his face remained calm and his eyes clear and focused.

She was glad that he was there too, Darovel's strong spirit gave her hope that they could escape from this place alive. But again she also wished that he did not have to suffer the way he did. How long would it be until Oroth decided to kill him? How would he do it? Morwen shuddered and pushed away the memories of all the cruel deaths her eyes had seen. Evil beings relished the pain of others; and they would go out of their way to inflict as much pain on their victims as possible.

The thought of Darovel dying here at the hands of Oroth produced an ill feeling in her stomach. Then her mind strayed towards Amarth.
Morwen closed her eyes and despite the fix they were in, couldn't help the fluttering in her chest when she pictured him in her mind. She couldn't recall exactly when she had fallen in love with him; but she knew without a shadow of doubt that her love for him was real. Even after what had happened in Barad-dur, after she fled Mordor, she hadn't stopped loving him. Though she'd tried to convince herself that she didn't; his name, his face, and his voice would enter her thoughts.

He'd always appeared fearless to her, strong and incapable of breaking. She'd felt safe around him during their brief time spent together; feeling that as long as she remained with him she'd never have to be afraid again. Then her thoughts turned dark as the more recent memory of seeing him chained to the floor, helpless as the shadow being leaned over him, that was the first time she had ever seen him that weak.

Oroth had told Amarth that he'd promised him to someone, was that person the shadow being? A voice inside her head whispered, yes.
That in itself was enough to make her cry. The thought of Amarth being alone with the creature, unarmed and helpless...

Morwen shook her head in anger, briskly wiping away the tears that had begun forming in her eyes. She would not think that way. Amarth had survived torment from Sauron and Alatar, he could fight whatever this new threat was. Nothing could break him, he would never break. She repeated those words to herself in her mind; they were the only thing keeping her from giving into her despair.

And yet there was still a quiet, nagging voice that kept whispering, What if he does?
If Amarth broke, then she would break right along with him.

/\\//\\/

Darovel's POV

Darovel slowly leaned his back against the wall, careful to avoid opening up the wounds that had closed. After inspecting himself Darovel had found that his wounds could have been far worse. Oroth's threat about what would happen if he was killed seemed to be at the forefront of all the shadows' minds. Though they had been eager to have their "fun" with him; it had taken awhile for any of the actual beating to start.

First they'd simply toyed with him; prodding him with their claws, shoving him from one large shadow to another, all in an attempt to goad him into fighting back. But all their treatment had been met with silent resistance. He refused to play their games, and his refusal cost him. Some of the smarter shadows devised a cruel game to see how much they could hurt him, without causing him serious injury.