Chapter 13

I don't know how long I was alone, or what I was even thinking about. Once my anger subsided I entered some sort of daze, I wandered around not paying attention to anything. If I had to describe it I'd say what I'm feeling is confusion. Part of me wanted Morwen to be alive, and that same part of me is glad that she's here. But the other part of me wants nothing to do with her, and all there is; is anger.

Why shouldn't I blame her for what happened? I have to blame someone don't I? Wait, do I? Is it always necessary to hold someone responsible for all the bad things that happen to you? Just as I'm about to delve into this new concept a sound reaches my ears that causes me to stop dead in my tracks.

A scream, coming from the camp. Without hesitating I whirl around and for once, thankful for my sharp elven ears. I hear another scream, one from Darovel I think. What could be making him scream like that? My mind immediately goes to the beast; has it caught up with us? Without ceasing my mad dash I reach into my shirt and pull out the amulet, feeling a heavy weight settle in the pit of my stomach when I see the stone glowing.

Footsteps sound from behind me, but I don't need to turn around to know who it is. 
"Amarth what is it?" Morwen calls, fear lacing her words.
"I don't know! Just keep running!" My thoughts are flooded with all the terrible things that could be happening to Ramben and Darovel. Would I get there in time or would I be too late to save them, just as I had always been too late-

I shake my head which nearly causes me to stumble.
No! I cannot let myself fall into one of those guilt trances again! I keep my thoughts off of everyone I've failed in the past, I block everything else out and focus on the task at hand. Get back to camp, save Ramben and Darovel, leave this place as soon as possible.

The moment Morwen and I arrive though, that plan immediately falls to pieces. I skid to a stop just as a dark shadow streaks towards us. Without thinking I put myself in front of Morwen, then scream as the shadow plunges into my stomach. I fall onto my back, unaware of anything but the intense pain that is spreading throughout my body. I scream and thrash, but nothing I do can free me. 

I hear Morwen scream and can only assume that the same fate has befallen her. I try once again to get up when another shadow plunges into my shoulder. My screams die instantly, my body goes still and my skin turns pale. Pain explodes in my leg, then I feel myself being lifted. More pain, this time in my back.

Black swirls around in my vision, bleary shapes of creatures with sharp fangs gaze at me with hungry eyes. I want to fight, but I can't move. I feel my consciousness slipping away, I'm struggling to stay awake...

One of the shadows plunges into my chest.

And I'm gone.

/\\//\\/

Voices...

I hear voices...

But I can't see...

"Do not damage him! Do not damage this one!"

What's happening...

"This one is special, oh yes this one is special!"

I need to wake up...

"Must be careful with him! We mustn't harm this one!"