Chapter 23

She's in my head...

Her thoughts whisper in my mind, I can feel her cold touch against my skin, I can sense her eyes burning through me.

I don't bother to run, why should I? If I try to run she will only follow, there is no escape from the Queen of Shadows.

"Why are you hiding from me Duvain? I miss you..."

Every day is dark, there is no more light.

"Return to me my beautiful darkness, I can end your suffering..."

I did this to myself.

"You would be mine, no one could ever come between us..."

I let her in.

"We will be together, for all eternity..."

And I can't let her out.

/\\//\\/

I walk out of my room, devoid of any emotion. This place that had once seemed full of light, is now dull and grey. I see no beauty here, no peace, it is nothing but a cage.

That's what the world has become to me: a cage.

I am trapped, no matter where I go Daeris is there to torment me. She calls to me, beckons me, and I want to go to her.

It's my fault...

It's all my fault...

I reach my hand up and absently place it over my heart, it longs for her. I wish I could fall over and die, just to escape her, but would death free me or condemn me?

I'm afraid.

I don't know what to do, I don't know how to fight this new enemy. Perhaps I can't fight it, maybe this is simply a battle I can't win. I should just give in to her, let her take me as she has longed to do for so long....

"Amarth?"
My body stiffens and the grey veil suddenly lifts. I blink twice and shake my head. What were those thoughts? Are they from my own mind or another trick of Daeris'?
"Amarth are you alright? Your skin is pale."
I finally turn around to acknowledge the speaker; Morwen. I haven't had a chance to talk to Morwen since coming here, not that I wanted to.

Studying her I notice that the wound on her arm has healed. She's also wearing a sleeveless dress, it looks nice on her. I feel a sharp pain at the back of my head, my teeth bite down on my tongue to keep me from screaming. I can't think that way about Morwen, I have to get rid of these thoughts.

"You're shaking." Morwen reaches out and lays a hand on my shoulder, I stiffen under her touch. Her eyes look into mine, those beautiful crystal eyes...

Suddenly I grab her; wrapping my arms around her waist I pull her against me, then I kiss her. Pain explodes in my head and I want to scream, but I don't stop. The pain spreads, and I can't go on. I shove Morwen away from me and collapse onto my knees, my hands going to my head.

I'm sorry! I couldn't stop myself I'm sorry! It won't happen again I promise!

Slowly, the pain begins to subside. Sweat covers my face and my breath is coming out in ragged gasps. What was I thinking?! I almost killed myself because of-
"Amarth..."