Chapter 1

I stepped out into the fall air and stretched out my arms towards the sun. Under my feet leaves crunched as I crossed the yard to my favorite tree. It was the smallest oak tree that held my small hammock. It was more like a chair, and the most important thing... it was in from of my mom's grave. I stretched out my arms again and sat in my "hammock chair".

"Good morning Mom," I yawned. I know I'd probably sound weird talking to myself. That's what my dad thought at first, but I just told him I was coping, and it would pass soon. This was now month three if you call that coping.

I leaned my head against the side of the hammock, and observed my mom's grave. It was a giant tombstone that read "Lucia Giomatti: Beloved Mother and Wife". There was an empty side next to my mom which was the spot reserved for my dad, Leonardo Giomatti. The grass had grown long and was now almost up to my knees. There were mostly shrubs, but a few roses and petunias I had planted. I really needed to clean up for Thanksgiving. A slight breeze brought me back to reality. I always got busy deciding what I had to do and forgetting what I was supposed to do. My cell phone out of nowhere rang. "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw started playing, I immediately knew it was my dad.

"Hey Dad," I smiled into my phone.

"Good morning honey. I was wondering if you could come into my office this morning to talk about a few things?"

" Sure Dad I'll be there," I replied.

"Oh and honey?"

"Yeah Dad?"

"Happy Birthday."

"Thanks," I snapped my phone shut. I knew what he was going to want to talk about... College. Today November 3 I turned 18. My 8th grade year I had skipped and went directly into 9th grade, so I had ended high school early. I got up and headed back to our mansion. Not to brag, but it was an amazing place to live in. It wad like a smaller version of the white house. Before I entered the house a warm breeze wrapped it's arms around me. When the leaves settled down I turned around and whispered, " Thanks Mom". No, I wasn't crazy. I knew I wasn't supposed ro believe in that stuff, but I knew it was her. She had always told me that she would always be with me wherever I was or whatever happened to her.