9: The Dangers that held

*-*-*-*

The days with both Aomine and Kise were absolutely fantastic. No sarcasm there. They both cheered me up in every way they can, and to my utter surprise, they got along really well. It was as though they were brothers on a huge fight, but reconciled when they saw their little sister hurt and it was their responsibility to take care of her. My heart swelled with happiness, finally feeling like everything was in the right places.

Or so I thought.

That day, a few days after the incident, Aomine, Kise and I were goofing around; telling jokes to one another. But then, someone I didn't expect, or rather, didn't even think of caring about me, came. In her hands tucked a bouquet of flowers, to which she handed them to me with that sickly sweet smile plastering on her face.

"Here," she said, handing me the bouquet. Many bright yellow flowers are clumped together, and I recognised it immediately. Late mother always lectured about this flower. A begonia. In flower language, it means..

Beware.

I paled slightly, but didn't miss my chance to thank her. Before she could make her next move, I stopped her. "Hey," I asked, "What's your name?"

"Shizuka," she introduced herself. "I'm Shizuka. You're Kaede right? Daughter of Sugahara-san, our principal." She laughed, but to my ears it sounded like she was cackling. She then turned to Aomine.

"Aomine-kun," she called, taking his hand. "Aomine-kun, can you come with me for a second?"

"Uh..." He looked at us both for confirmation, hesitance written all over his face. Kise sort of urged him with his eyes, but I just stared at the flowers, and he sighed in defeat. "Fine," he grumbled, followed her out. My heart clenched to see him go with her, my eyes glued to their laced fingers. Fair and tanned...

They quite matched...

As soon as they were out of earshot, Kise turned to me with a serious expression. "Okay, Kaecchi, what's wrong?"

"Eh?" I snapped out of my thoughts. "What's wrong?" I questioned him back.

Kise gripped my shoulders, looking at me in the eye. "I know you're lying. Ever since Shizuka came in and gave you those flowers you paled. We aren't best friends for nothing."

I sighed. So he did see through me.

"She gave me a Begonia.." I motioned towards the flowers, trembling. "In the flower language, it means, "beware"."

Kise's eyes went wide, as he stared at me. "Are you sure, Kaecchi..?"

I nodded, still trembling. "Mother always lectured me about this, and she always say to be cautious after that. She also made me swore to never give them to anyone. I.." I paused, my tremble becoming worse. "I... I never thought I would receive this. Never in my life, dreams, thoughts. What should I do?" I looked at Kise, searching his eyes for help.

"Calm down, okay?" Kise assured me, pulling me into a hug. I know I'm a scaredy cat, but don't you feel scared when you know that someone holds a grudge onto you? And they don't just hurt you, they have a chance of hurting your loved ones as well. And I certainly do not want that.

I shook, not knowing how to react. Kise held me and rocked me back and forth, whispering words of assurance to my ear. Fortunately, I calmed down and my heart held a serene feeling, but all of that shattered when I saw Aomine getting back in. He had a slightly disheveled look, and a satisfied smile over his lips. His lips.. They were swollen too. Red and swollen.