13: He remembers; The Untold Secrets

*-*-*-*

Father didn't come like he promised. Maybe he was busy. Half of me felt relieved that he did not interrogate me yet, since I wasn't armed with excuses yet. The other half of me felt down, because I was actually looking forward to him being here, like how my childhood was. It pains to reminisce.

I fell asleep without myself knowing, immensely tired. The next morning, however, I woke up to something rather... surprising. A red colored box was resting atop the side table, along with a small black colored note. Curious, I reached for the note, unfolding and reading it. Written in white pen, it read:

I just remembered that these chocolates are your favorite. Remember when you used to starve yourself before stuffing your face with them? I actually came here as an impromptu visit, but turns out you were asleep. I hope this starts your day with a smile.

PS: I heard about you from Kise.

- Ichi

Unbeknownst to me, I started smiling, touched by his attempt to cheer me up. Happiness really does come from simple things. I reached for the box, slowly pulling the ribbon to untie and opened the box.

Fererro Rocher.

The golden wrapper shone against the light, as if begging me to eat all at one go. These chocolates were my absolute favorite, the ones that I ate without fail when I was upset. Ichi would always buy these as an apology if I ever get upset at him.

And I always forgave him immediately.

I carefully placed them in my bag and hopped into the shower, a long and hot one. My course of class didn't start until nine today. Today was special. When I got into a new set of fresh clothes(there were random clothes in the closet, so I settled in for a pair of grey pullover and jeans.) and I slipped my Dark Blue bracelet on. I've always thought it would come in handy, like these times.

It was when I was about to go out when realization hit me. Today's Thursday! That means...

Urgh. Tutoring. Again.

Rather than that, I wonder if I can even look at him in the eyes without feeling pure hatred? I hope so. Calm yourself down, Kaede.

I grabbed my backpack and pushed my way to the receptionist room. I still had a little bit over the hour before my class starts, so I was deciding where to hang around for a while. I passed the keys back, thanking Ms Iwasaki. Then I weaved my way through the student hallways.

And so, now I'm sitting here, at the outdoor area of the cafeteria, my hands gently tracing over the intricate flower patterns of the box. Stems of flowers weaved themselves through the box, creating beautiful stalks decorated with small leaves. It wasn't until I heard someone calling me for the nth time was when I snapped out of my reverie.

"Ichi?" I arched an eyebrow at him. He pouted.

"That's mean! Of course it would be me!" He whined. "Is anyone sitting here?"

"Oh no, go on ahead." He sat down, eyeing me with the knowing eyes of his. I hate to admit, but years after not seeing him, he had became more... mature? Puberty did wonders. His jawline was more sharper, skin slightly tanner, eyes more color. "I'm surprised you got a chocolate of my kind." I started, slowly pulling the lid off.

He didn't answer, and when I looked at him, I saw a shade of red tainting his face. I cooed. He had such an adorable expression! I picked up a chocolate, popping it into my mouth.