12: Of tears and Attempted Cheer-ups

12: Of Tears and Attempted Cheer-ups

*-*-*-*

Oh, how the image burned at the back of my head.

I couldn't scrape it off no matter how much I tried. It seemed as though the image was haunting me alive. And currently, I was sitting alone, at the side of the fountain, tears continuing to fall just like the fountain behind me.

No, it wasn't the unwanted near-first-time experience that haunted me. It really wasn't.

It was what I saw when I got back.

After I had ran from Aomine, I calmed myself down and then went to the reception office, signing off Aomine's and my name on the book. I made up some excuse that Aomine couldn't sign it off and I was doing it on his behalf. The whole time, my hand was trembling slightly, but I still managed to keep my cool. The only thing I was worrying about was if Ms Iwasaki noticed it.

But she didn't, thankfully. Or if she did; she spoke nothing about it. I had also requested her for a key to the sickbay room, and she gave it to me without a comment. Just a look. It was strange, indeed, but it was better for me to brush it off, not wanting to handle anything more than should tonight. I thanked her, intending to spend the night there. My mind was utterly tired, my body completely drained, and I just couldn't take anything anymore.

There was a small toilet consisting a sink, a toilet bowl and a shower in the bathroom of the sickbay, so I decided that I just had to take my toothbrush from my room and probably make an excuse to Aomine.

A part of me was hopeful that he won't be there.

Hastily climbing up the steps because I just wanted to be out of there and not be caught, I walked to my room.

And it was when I opened the door was when I froze.

There was a part of me that was trembling, scared about facing the truth. Ever since he moved in, I've been feeling this swell inside my chest that I could not point a finger to it. It made me so confused. Everytime I see him, I would have to refrain myself from acting unusually, and everytime he wasn't there, I would long for his return. But yet, there is this part of me that wanted to know what was going on.

And seeing him heavily making out with another girl was more than enough to make me slam the door and run back, ignoring the calls of the tanned male, running as fast as my legs could carry me. It wasn't until I reached the sickbay was when I collapsed onto the bed from over-fatigue, completely drained both physically and emotionally and heck, even spitirually and tears to even move. Finally, I felt my eyes closing as I drifted off into a tearful sleep.

But the dirty blonde hair of the girl was stuck to my mind.

*-*-*-*

"Kaede," a familiar voice whispered. "Kaede, my daughter, wake up."

"Huh..?" I slowly opened my eyes, feeling it burning from last night's access tears. Even when I had slept on the bed, my body was still sore. When I came too, I found the same pair of grey eyes staring into mine. It was steely, yet it had a gentle edge. And instantly, I knew who it was. I quickly woke up, trying to use my hands as support, but they were to wobbly, causing me to fall back. "Father..?"

"Hey... Are you okay?" My father asked, stroking my hair gently. "You look horrible."

I gave him a pained smile, chuckling without emotion. "Thank you for the compliment, Father. I'm not feeling too well. Can I rest?"

He cracked a smile, gave me a nod and then stood up. "I'll give you a day off for today. Give me an explanation at the end of the day, okay?" And with that, he turned and left the room, closing the door behind me.