Chapter 6 Five years later

Five years later

Today was the convocation ceremony of the class of 2023 and ofcoz Maya T. I. G of 23 years was among them, she graduated with first class and happens to be the only one to do that in their whole set, in the process breaking the record by being the first to graduate with first class in 53 years for the whole courses, for that acheivment she received a scholarship for her Law school

On the day of their convocation she was called to give a speech, she was introduced as Maya T. I. G the only student to graduate with first class that year,

She walked to the podium and looked at the beaming audience, especially her beautiful sister Thahani, but like she expected her dad wasn't there"

"Um (hesitated) , good afternoon parents, teachers, invited guests, family and friends, i am designated as Maya T.I.G, (two seconds interval), today marks so many importants things in my life or will i say our lives, the class of 2023, for me it marks the end of hard,harsh and rough struggle of five years, (silence and tears), not to brag , i for one was born with a silver spoon, i know you know what that means, you can imagine what life like that is, i wasn't spoilt mentaly or spritualy or emotionaly, but i was spoilt physically (chuckles from the audience), yeah i get what i want the time i want, wear what i want, eat what i want, but a personal turn of events made me loose almost all of it, the luxury life i mean, (wiped her tears and smiled), life is indeed not a bed of roses, a king today will end up being a slave tomorrow, a slave will end up being a king, of cause not just like that, that slave must struggle to be one, a friend of mine(chuckles) usually says work hard so that you don't need to be introduced, she means if one arrives at a place, he/she needs no introduction for people around to know who they are, for example i am Maya i graduated with first class, when i walk by, people will now be like that's the girl, and when i pass by you, another will say that's the girl, yeah the girl that graduated with first class her name is Maya,Maya who, Maya T.I.G, am not bragging"( making alot among the audience to chuckle), you see i need no introduction, why cause i worked hard, alot of people like Professor Yadudu, Justice Babarado, Dr. Clement, their Excellency, Honourables and alot of them don't need introduction, we know them because they worked hard in those days, but i know some who need no introducion but are so lazy(she joked and some laughed), So today ends a chapter in our life and at the same time opening a new one, you see we are done with college, only to begin a new stage in our lives, which we know nothing off, we knew about the past, yesterday, now, but we know nothing about later, about tomorrow, the only thing we know is our plans which may or may not take place, funny how life is i know, but that's the journey, thats the puzzle no one in this world can solve but Allah, the King of all kings, the God of all gods, and with his grace we are here, we thank Almighty Allah, life in college was like a life in a ship, imagine this massive ship on sea, this ship sails from Port to port dropping and picking passengers, that port to port means year after yearin this college and the pick and dropping of passenger in each port means every year this college graduates students and at the same time admits new students, in this ship some boarded willingly, i mean some chose this college as their dream college, while some boarded with hopes, it means some entered this college with hopes to finish with flying colour, however some boarded scared, it means some came into this college having this feeling of not belonging, not going to make it cause it will be hard, or being a failure, surprisingly some boarded forcefully, it means some came into this college not because they wanted to but because they were asked to, wherelse some boarded due to circumstances, it means some entered this college cause they couldn't afford others, or maybe they have no choice, again some boarded with joy, like yeee am finally going into college, am now a university dude or chick, freedom at last yeeeeheee, (she chuckled, also some of the audience chuckled) but i wasn't one of them, also some boarded being naive, have you ever come across students,new college students who have no idea what to see, expect, and hear, (some nodded) those are the naive one, but all of them, we, they having one thing it common, which is to reach our destination, to sail to what we hopefully think is our Port, i mean to graduate in the year we hopefully think is out year, i said hopefully cause first of all it wasn't a smooth sail, apart from the cold, faulty engines, massive waves hitting the ship and making it rock dangerously, series of hurricane, seriously i mean, those 7 to 12 morning lectures, arrggh, midnight tutorials, morning test, late afternoon lectures, the lectures that still take attendance when its raining cats and dogs, lectures that will see 20 out of 200 students in class and award marks, lectures that fix night lectures and even on Sundays, you see in this ship there were some with sea sickness, some who foolishly or accidentally drowned on sea, some who left the ship willingly, forcefully, tragically and carelessly at a certain stage, i mean here in school some died, some failed because they didn't work harder, some were expelled along the way, some gave up and today some of us finished with flying colours, but who am i to hold myself high with out thanking the mighty seer, the ulitimate programmer, the perfect arranger and make of everything, i thank Almighty Allah for making this possible and Thank you dear teachers who make the profoundest mark in our lives for they are the heroes of the college, thank you parents who support us all the way, and for friends we stood by us thank you, and for our haters thank you cause you motivated us, we are forever grateful, good luck in life class of 2023, yeah we did it," with that a standing ovation was given to her, they clap as she smiles still on stage with tears of joy, with that she and her other mates threw their graduation caps up admist loud cheers.

When everyone was outside the hall exchanging pleasantries and so, Maya was with two lectures of hers with her graduation gown and cap on her arm revealing her dressing,

her hair in a neat giant bun and covered with a small peach coloured veil, all in all she was wearing a long amethyst colour gown made of lace and silk which has faint golden thread decorations sown to the whole material and was in a fitted shaped, she wore a light makeup on her face and an a peach memorata shoe, she was looking a bit lean on the face, but beautiful as ever, she had just a casual makeup on her face,

As the lectures turn to go, she heard a voice, "hey Maya" that was a course mate of hers Sarah, Maya turned and smiled "hey Sarah" the girls hugged, "Maya , my cousin brother Kamal, he works in Dublin he is a pharmacist, he wants to say hi" said Sarah motioning to the guy she came with, "hey Maya am Kamal Azeez" he said, "hey Kamal, you sure look familiar"

" i am a follower of yours in instagram anyway That was a nice speech up there" , "oh thank you, i was a bit nervous thou and i felt like i was over talking"

"Are you kidding you were real up there"

" trust Maya always the real girl" said Sarah

"And congratulations, you are now a legend for graduating with a first class",

"i am grateful, am just glad the toils were worth it" .

Alot of people wanted to meet Maya and say congrats, even parents of other graduates walked up to her to congratulate her, and in the mist of all this Thahani came towards Maya who was now talking with some friends, "am so happy for you Lulu" said Thahani hugging her sister from the back, "atleast one out of my family is" she said dryly turning to face her sister, "Maya please, am proud of my only sister" said Thahani with a smile, "okey, thank you" said Maya with a smile hugging her

"dad should be proud of you, i mean you the only one out with first class, he has to be proud" said Thahani, "yeah thats why he is present today and absent on your convocation day last year, you graduating with second class lower" said Maya in a voice full of bitterness and a scorn on her face, folding her hands, "Maya i know, but can it be us just us right now, no drama" asked Thahani, "whatever" said Maya just when they were interuppted,

"Maya, you were so good up there, congratulations dear" said a voice Maya had now become so fond of, Kaseem's mother, "thank you so much Mama" said Maya as the two hugged, "Thahani how is your service" she asked after the hug, " we will soon have our passing out par..... "Mama, seriously today is all about me, not her, nobody, so lets celebrate me" said Maya interuppting Thahani, "you are right, so where do we go now" asked Thahani smiling, "oh please, i will see you later, duty calls you know " said Mrs omar, with that she bade them good bye and left,

"guess its just us, sisters" said Thahani, "so i say, since its my day we do it my way" said Maya and "but i was thinking we will go home first and atleast show dad your result" Thahani said hopefully, "you just didn't say that, and thank God you said hope, you hoped, and Hani you know the answer, so please don't spoil my day by pressing on the issue "

Thahani just nodded, "good now first we go to my fashion house, get a facial and skin treatment, make up, dress up and party" said Maya, "but i got to finish some documentary entries for dad" said Thahani sounding almost scared, Maya's face changed and she said "oh in that case, carry on don't let me waste your time, dady's pet" Maya said masking her anger, but Thahani meant to speak "Maya am...... "No don't" she almost yelled, and then looked away and quietly said "just go.. go, we done here" and was now trying so hard to fight the tears that are threatening to fall, Thahani sighed and had to walk away sadly, Maya sadly walked to her car and drove off straight to the prison to see Kaseem.

"I promise Kaseem, just two more years, just law school and service that's all" said Maya taking Kaseem's hand that day she went to visit him

"I know, am just so eager to see the end of this" he said with tears in his eyes, "it will, i have faith in Allah" she said and he nodded, "what of things with your dad" he asked, "oh still cold and ever loving Thahani" she said Painfully, "atleast he loves your sister" he said, "yeah but not me, he always hates me, and showers all the love on her, sometimes i wish i had another family" she said wearily and almost in tears, "don't say that, Thahani loves you"

"I don't care" she said with a hmph.