Chapter 11

I am laying on bed, watching a movie when the door bell rings. I frown.

Who can it be? Dylan has been out all morning along with all the pack members. No one ever rings the bell. Unless-

I jump out of bed and race downstairs. Kate is already greeting Sam. She turns to smile at me but she seems to look uneasy.

"Isabel, I was just about to go look for you. This young man is looking for you." I hear a warning behind her words.

I smile. "Thank you, Kate. I'll take care of him." I say taking Sam's hand and leading him into the living room. From the corner of my eye, I see Kate shake her head.

"Sam," I say. "What are you doing here?"

He raises his hands and I realize that he had been holding a dozen of roses. "You didn't go to school."

I smile as I take them. "Thank you."

"Do you feel alright?" he asks as I run around to set them on the table.

"Yeah, I was just-" I was just what? Sick? Confused out of my mind because I have no damn idea what is going on between me and Dylan? Moved by his story so I wanted to stay home and think more about our conversation? Happy that we actually had a conversation? "-tired." I finish with a defeated sigh.

"Mind if I stay and give you some company?"

At first, I immediately don't think it's a good idea. On the other hand, I don't want to go back to my room and keep staring at the screen and keep thinking about Dylan and Ryan and how he tried to rape me. If only Sam knew all of this.

I smile. "Of course not. My brothers not home anyway."

He grins then takes something out from his backpack. "Good, because I brought movies."

We put an action movie and then get comfortable on the couch.

"So," Sam says after a few minutes. "about prom?"

I smile. "What about it?"

"Would you come with me?"

"Like you have to ask." I say with a smile.

Sam puts his hand under my chin and pushes it up causing me to meet his lips.

No! He's not our mate! my wolf says in my head.

She hasn't been protesting at all about Sam and I before, so this take me by surprise.

"Shut up," I murmur.

Sam pulls back to look at me. "What?"

"Nothing," I say, embarrassed then push him to me again.

He doesn't want us, remember? I ask her.

She doesn't say anything. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Sam puts an arm around my waist and we begin to lay down on the couch, with him on top of me. When we run out of breath, he goes down to my neck. I am enjoying this. I mean, Sam is a great kisser and he is making me forget about him.

"I like you," he says against my neck.

I roll my eyes. "I like you too."

He looks at me, serious. "No. I really really like you. I've never been so whipped on a girl before."

My smile fades a little. "Sam-"

He leans in to kiss me, interrupting my sentence.

I am in the middle of a hot scene with Sam, when I feel him. I jump, causing Sam to fall to the ground.

I look up and see Dylan glaring at me with his arms crossed on his chest.

"Crap," Sam curses under his breath as he stands up.

"I am so very sorry-" Sam begins.

"Sam," I say. "Lets go" Dylan looks dangerously close to shifting right there in front of us.

I grab his hand and try to push him to the front door but he stops.

He walks to angry Dylan with a nervous smile. "I really don't want us to start with the wrong foot here," Sam says. "I want to properly introduce myself as Isabel's boyfriend, Sam."

I bite my lip to keep myself from laughing. Oh God. I am so evil! Poor Sam.

"Sam, this isn't a good idea," I hiss when there's an awkward moment of silence.

"What are your intentions with Isabel?" Dylan surprises both of us by asking.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Dylan don't-"

"Completely serious," Sam interrupts then grabs my hand. "She is the most incredible girl I've ever met and I will never hurt her."

Dylan turns his glare to me. "I want you here for dinner." he turns around and walks back out.

I stare at his back with my mouth dropped open. He did not just do that. Who does he think he is? Right. He's your brother. You were the one to make this up remember, Isabel?

Sam smiles at me. "It could have gone worse, right?"

I smile. "Right."

"Now, come on. We have until dinner!"

___________

I stalk into the dining room and cross my arms on my chest. "What the hell?"

Dylan looks up from his food and raises an eyebrow at me. "Excuse me?"

I walk until I am in front of him, and lean across the table. "I was playing a volleyball game and we were winning. Sam had to cut in to bring me home because my stupid brother said he wanted me by dinner."

Dylan actually laughs, making me smile and then I remind myself I'm supposed to be mad at him. "Do I need to remind you that it was you who made this up?"

"Yeah to save your ass! You were the one who didn't want anyone to know that we are mates!"

He frowns then he clears his throat. "Would you be going out with him if I hadn't asked you to do that?"

"What?" I ask, confused. Once again, he has changed the subject to a topic I thought we were over. I am not going to deny the tiniest feeling of hope I feel though. Damn it.

"Would you be with him if I hadn't asked you to deny being my mate." he repeats.

"Um, depends."

"On what?"

"Whether you and I would be together or just living together."

"If we were together?" he echoes.

"You know like a couple," I sigh as I sit back on the chair. "But you already made it pretty clear that you are not into that which is perfectly fine because Sam is. Thanks, Kate." I say as Kate places a plate of Chicken Alfredo pasta in front of me.

"I wouldn't know what to do in a couple," he says after a moment of silence.

I roll my eyes at him. "You're so old fashioned. People are in them now-a-days, you know." I shrug. "How can you not know? You do have Rose." Just thinking about her makes me angry.

He leans back on his chair with a sigh. "Rose and I were never together, Isabel."

I bite my lip to fight the smile. "Did she know that?" I ask while taking a sip of the wine.

"Does it matter?"

I put a forkful of pasta in my mouth. "Where has she been anyway? I haven't seen her around in a long time." I realize.

He rests his arms on the table and leans in across the table. "She didn't make you happy."

"So you kicked her out?" I ask surprised.

"From your sight, yes."

"Wow," I smile. "Thank you. I couldn't stand that bitch."

I wait for him to defend her but he doesn't intead, he smiles. "Because you were jelouse?"

"My wolf was," I clarify. "She's also very happy to hear that Rose isn't around anymore. She hopes that includes you." I look down at the last sentence, embarrassed.

He chuckles. "If that will make her happy."

I smile at him. "It will."

"Then tell her she has nothing to worry about."

"Good. She can be a real pain in the ass, you know."

"Is she happy about your boyfriend?"

"Of course not." I meet his gaze. "She wants you."

There's a moment of silence. We just stare at each other.

I clear my throat. "She-" I sigh. Just say it, Isabel. "I don't understand why you rejected me."

"I didn't reject you."

"The words didn't have to be said, Dylan," I say, annoyed. "Just tell me. Why am I not good enough?"

Dylan shakes his head. "You don't understand."

"No, I don't. What is there to understand? You are too hard for me to read."

He stands up and, when he reaches me, he grabs my arm and pulls me up. "There is nothing to understand. Isabel, you don't realize what you do to me, do you?" He grabs my hand and presses it to his manhood. My eyes get wide when I feel how hard and big it is. There's a big bulge. "This is always there whenever I'm with you. Hell, I just have to think about you. There is nothing wrong with you. It is me. I am the problem."

"There is nothing wrong with you," I whisper.

He half smiles. "I have too many enemies. I don't want them to come after you just to get to me, like Ryan already did, that is the reason I asked you to keep quiet about us being mates. That is the reason I want to keep you close enough to protect you but I've come to realize that it is not close enough," he says through clenched teeth. He growls then turns around and runs out leaving me there alone with my bewilderment.

___________

I have a game that next Friday. A game that we loose because of me. I have been so distracted after that night with Dylan. I don't even know what to believe anymore. Did he mean that he did want me? Or no? Ugh. And this is why I lost.

I take a quick shower in the locker room and then meet Sam outside.

"You alright?" He asks as he takes my hand.

I sigh. "I guess you can't always win right?"

He smiles. "Are you still up for a little race?"

"Of course!" I say suddenly excited.

Dylan warned me to never go back there but hey, he doesn't have to know right?

We get in Sam's car and he drives us back to the clearing where we meet up with the same people. I find out that they bet thousands of dollars in every race. I have also learned that Dante is the one who leads this. I still want to know how it is that he is third in command and he still has time for street races. Betas and third in commands are always supposed to be with the Alpha no matter what.

I decide to wait watch Sam tonight, I'm afraid I'm going to throw up or something. He loses but it doesn't matter because I can tell that he had a lot of fun. Unlike me, he knows how to loose.

"Nice race," Dante comments opening a beer. He bows his head slightly at me.

You better not tell him I'm here! I say through the mind link.

He grins at his beer can. Too late.

Sure enough, Dylan arrives a few minutes later. We have gone back to ignoring each other at home. I'm so tired of this situation.

"Hey, you brother," Sam says nodding Dylan's way.

I smile. "Let go somewhere else?"

"Sure." he says putting an arm around my shoulders. We walk back to his car where I lean on. We talk and kiss in between but I can't concentrate. Not when I can feel Dylan's burning glare.

We are standing there laughing at some joke Sam say, when we hear some screaming.

I look over Sam's shoulder and gasp. There are wolves walking in our way, about five. Their eyes are glowing red as blood and they are growling at Dylan's direction. There are about two other humans besides Sam, everyone else must have left already.

"Whoa, what the hell-" Sam says, staring at the wolves with evident fear.

What are rogues doing here? This is dangerous for humans!

Dylan's eyes move and he meets my gaze. The rogues don't miss that. Some begin to come my way.

"Dylan, no!" I whisper but it's too late.

Dylan is already jumping through the air and he lands as a big, sliver and black wolf. He growls loud enough to break any human's ear drums.

I turn to look at Sam slowly, stupidly hoping that he had closed his eyes.

But they are wide open.