Chapter 20

As we walk, I want to talk to him but I'm afraid to kill the peaceful silence so I bite my lip and keep my mouth shut.

"How come you never go with them?" He breaks the silence.

I shrug. "I don't really feel like partying right now."

"Why? Do you regret doing this?"

"No," I answer honestly. "Living with my mate was hell."

"That's strange to hear. You know it's usually all flowers and rainbows."

I laugh. "I wish it would have been like that with me. But I'm out of that now, thank God. "

"I'm sorry for being an ass when you arrived. It's just-"

"Don't worry about it," I assure with a smile. "I completely understand how I might be a threat but I don't think Dylan would take the time to look for me. Like Ryan said, he has too much pride."

"What pack is that again?"

"DarkMoon. Where do you come from?"

"BlueRaven."

"Isn't that the pack that went into war with SilverMoon?"

He nods. "Pretty stupid going against the biggest pack and of course, we lost. And all because of a girl. The Alpha was pretty stupid. After that, SilverMoon took over our pack getting yet even bigger. Most of us just became rogues instead."

"Do you have any family?"

"I did. But they all died in that war."

"I was taken away from mine by my mate," I say sadly. "I miss them terribly."

I emailed Liz about two weeks ago just to find that Dylan didn't tell them anything about me running away. I don't know why he didn't tell them anything but I'm glad at the same time. I don't want my parents to worry.

"I wasn't really closed to mine." Luke says with a shrug. "I gave them too many problems when I was younger."

"You do look like a troublemaker," I tease as we walk into Walmart.

"Look who's talking."

"Hey! You don't know my life!"

He shrugs. "I know that you don't like to be told what to do."

"Who does?" I ask then look at him. "Have you found your mate?"

"I have," he says with a more serious tone. "She rejected me."

"Why?"

"Because I am poor and not the Alpha she has as a boyfriend."

"Wow. What happened to the Fairytale it's supposed to be when you find your mate? It's really messed up nowadays huh?"

"Yes," he agrees looking at me. "It is."

"Do you enjoy being a rogue?" I whisper as we go into the cereal aisle.