Chapter 28

I look around what used to be my room. Everything is just the way I left it. I remember throwing that blouse on the floor and it's still there. The closet's door is ajar, just how i always leave it along with my shoes. I make my way to the restroom, slowly, feeling like a stranger. I am surprised to see the toothbrush next to the sink along with the tooth paste-

"How do you feel?"

I jump at the sound of Dylan's voice and then laugh, suddenly nervous as I look around. "Everything is just the way I left it." I say slowly.

He scratches the back of his head. "Yeah. We- I- uh, kind of ordered everyone to not come in. I wanted to leave it like that for when you came back."

I laugh nervously. "Well, at least I have clothes now." I say pretending to be choosing what to wear.

"Luke's not in?" he asks.

"No. He went out for a run."

"Thank you," he says after a moment of silence.

I finally meet his gaze and frown. "For what?"

"For understanding my need to have Seth."

I shrug. "I'm not as opposed to violence as I used to be."

He nods. "I've noticed."

"I just hope that this is over soon."

"So you can leave?" he asks and I notice an edge to his voice.

"Yeah," I say. "Also so we can stop running from one less person on the list."

"Can I ask you a question?" he asks after an awkward moment of silence.

"Depends," I say and he raises his eyebrows. "Is it gonna make me mad?"

He laughs, actually laughs! "I hope not."

"Well?"

"How do you like being a rogue?"

"It's actually not that bad." I laugh. "It's an adventure everyday, you know running from pack to pack and from fight to fight. You never know whether you're gonna make it back alive. But that's the best part you know, that you don't know what you're gonna do the next day."

"Is that why you didn't like it here?"

I shake my head. "This isn't a good idea."

"What isn't?"

"Talking about the past."

He shrugs. "I just want to know. Would you be so kind and answer me?"

He is being- nice. Which is surprising.

"I left because you chained me, Dylan," I say, annoyed.

He closes his eyes, to calm himself, I guess and then he opens them again. "Go on."

"You know why your problem is? You don't enjoy life. I mean, I get that being an Alpha isn't easy but you have to find time for yourself. You have a beach house, yet you don't enjoy it. You are like angry at the whole world. Living here was hell, yes, mostly because you didn't want me but also because there's nothing about this house that made me feel welcome. Everything is so boring- so dark, just like its owner."

"I am boring?" he asks like out of my whole speech, this is the only thing that offended him.

"Very," I say just to tease him.