Lungs Full of Water

Mercy - Shawn Mendes

"This was my mother's lemonade recipe." The lady, who introduced herself as Lenore, came into the dining room with a tray filled with drinks. We were all seated down at the table. She chuckled as she placed the tray down. We all grabbed a glass. "We always served this when we had friends to visit."

There was brown leaves in my glass and I could sense that the water wasn't clean. At least it wasn't poisoned. I wet my lips and looked at my friends. I had to bite my lip to keep myself from laughing as I saw Malia chug the lemonade down.

"We didn't come to visit." Malia placed her glass on the table. She looked at Lenore who sat in between the two of us. "We're looking for someone."

"A friend of ours. Maybe you've seen him. His name is Stiles?" Scott added on.

"It's been a while since anyone came through Canaan." Lenore informed us.

"How long?" Lydia asked. Lenore thought it over. Malia reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of paper.

"Since April eighth, nineteen eighty-seven?" She guessed. Malia placed the paper down, which turned out to be a receipt, on the table in front of Lenore.

"Why would you disturb those things? They don't belong to you." Lenore gravely spoke.

"Well, it doesn't belong to you either." I grumbled, crossing my arms. Lydia gave me a stern look. I shrugged. "What?"

"We need to know what happened." Scott said.

"There was a picnic. A community party." Lenore frowned.

"It seems like everyone left in a hurry." Malia looked at us.

"People have been leaving Canaan for a long time." Lenore simply stated. "That's the day the last of them left."

"Last of them?" I repeated, furrowing my brows.

"All at once? They all just disappeared?" Scott questioned.

"I didn't say they disappeared." Lenore angrily gritted out. My eyes widened at her sudden aggressiveness. The glasses of water shook. I warily eyes her, hovering my hand over my bracelet underneath the table. "I said they left."

"Did they leave in a cloud of green smoke?" Malia gently asked.

"They just left!" Lenore screamed, standing up onto her feet. I closed my eyes shut at the loudness of her voice. The table and furniture shook. Blinking, I suddenly felt disoriented.

"We didn't mean to upset you. We'll go now." Lydia pressed her lips together and stood up. She nodded her head towards the door. Swallowing, I got up, passing by Lenore who sent me a glare. Malia was in front of us about to go out the door before it suddenly slammed shut.

"Oh no." I muttered. Turning around, I saw Lenore a few feet behind us.

"No one is leaving. No one is leaving Canaan ever again." Lenore breathed out heavily. Scott rushed towards the door. He grabbed the knob and tried to break it open.

"Scott, open the door, you're a werewolf." Malia anxiously said.

"I'm trying." Scott whispered back. He went back to trying to open the door. Malia went towards the window and threw a punch at the glass. Tapping my charm, I walked over towards Scott.

"Let me give it a try." I twirled my sword. Scott nodded and backway. I slashed my sword down at the door knob, only for a metallic cling to go off. I stared wide eyed at it. My sword always cuts through everything...well except for mortals.