Memory Overdrive

Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran

"My mother had a hypnotist who helped her quit smoking." Lydia said as she wrote on a notepad. The rest of us were looking for a lighter and a candle. "She had me see the same one when I was 10."

"You smoked when you were 10?" Scott asked, turning to face her as he opened a locker.

"No. I bit my fingernails." Lydia told him. "Just find a lighter or a candle, please."

"Too much?" Malia held up a blowtorch with a lit flame.

"Uh...it should work. I think." I frowned, looking through the cabinets.

"I got one." Scott ran up to us, holding up a small white candle. He saw the blowtorch in Malia's hand, perking an eyebrow. We went to the table. Biting my lip, I slowly took a seat. Scott placed the candle on the table and Malia lit it. "What's that?"

"An induction script. One of us is going to talk Nevah through this." Lydia held up the notepad.

"I'm nervous. Should I be nervous?" I looked at my friends with wide eyes.

"You'll be fine." Lydia smiled, giving my shoulder a squeeze. "It's better than freezing yourself into a trance-like daze."

"I want to read it." Lydia handed the script to Malia. "So I just read?"

"Well, you have to soften your voice. Keep it relaxed but not monotone .Go for clarity, not volume. Try it." Lydia explained.

"Take a deep breath and look at the candle." Malia awkwardly read the script.

"Uh," I gave her a sheepish smile. "Not really working."

"I'll try it." Scott grabbed the script and started to read it. "Take a deep breath and look at the candle. Feel the muscles in your body begin to relax. Your hands relaxing. Your eyelids relaxing."

Taking a deep breath in, I followed Scott's instructions. Soon, I felt myself go into a daze. When I opened my eyes, I was in the Preserve.

"As you relax, imagine you're sitting in front of a TV. When you turn the TV on, it's going to play memories from your life. The remote gives you total control. You can play any memory you want. All you have to do, is hit the button."

In front of me was a TV and I had a control in my hand. Anxiously licking my lips, I turned the TV on. I was looking at my schedule in the school hallway when Stiles walked up to me.

"Nevah?" I hummed and looked up to see Stiles. "What are you doing here?"

"I was forced to enroll into Tartarus." I grumbled, waving my schedule.

"Oh." Stiles grimaced. He licked his lips anxiously. "You believe me right? About Theo?"

"Yeah, why?" I said, shoving my schedule into my black skinny jeans. I was too lazy to put it into my backpack. 

"I need your help."

"Are we getting his ass caught?" I arched an eye brow. Stiles grinned and nodded. "Say no further. What do you need me to do?"

"Try to find a memory of Stiles. A memory where you felt a connection with him." I heard Scott say.

I hit the button again. I was in my room, bundled up in a blanket. My nose was red, showing that I was sick. I was IM'ing Stiles.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Stiles pulled me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I hummed, looking at his eyes again.