TWO ➳ EYE CONTACT

After a night of stumbling upon half a dead body, Lydia had no mercy when storming into Rowan's room the next morning two hours before school actually started. She had a wooden spoon and banged it obnoxiously against a metal pot. Upon hearing this rambunctious noise, Rowan's green eyes crack open quickly and bitterness settled into the pit of her stomach.

"Wakey, wakey! Time to get up!" Lydia screeched, walking even closer to Rowan as she threw her pillow over her head. After showering away the dirt and grime from the night before, Rowan settled into bed and fell asleep instantly, despite Lydia and Ms. Martin's constant questioning. "Rowan! Wake up!" she screamed.

Lydia took another step forward. Before her foot could rest comfortably on the floor, Rowan hissed and made an inhumane noise that widened Lydia's eyes. She ceased her movement instantly.

"If you take another step closer to me, I think I might just get out of bed to hurl my body out the window," Rowan threatened, throwing the pillow off her head to reveal the mess of brown waves clumped together in knots.

The pale, strawberry blonde squinted her eyes in a glare. "You wouldn't," she uttered, already lowering her spoon and pan in defeat.

Rowan tore her blankets off of her body, regretting it the moment the cold air from the room hit her exposed skin. Still, she waltzed over to the window, unlocking it and sliding it open. Rowan flipped her hair and turned to look at Lydia from over her shoulder. Lydia shook her head, still not believing that her best friend would even threaten her life like that.

"See ya!" Rowan called out, sticking her leg out the window, ready to hurl her body. It wasn't that far down if the brunette aimed for that soft shrub to be her landing target.

"Rowan, no!" Lydia screamed as she lunged at the window to grab Rowan by the hand and pull her back out from the edge. "Just get ready for school with me," she said as the two of them toppled to the floor in a pile of limbs from the startling jerking.

Rowan tried to conceal the frown already tugging at the corners of her rosy lips. She hated school, but mostly the people there, not the learning portion. It was always the same wherever she went and that's what pained her.

No one ever gets to know Rowan past her exterior unless they actually have to. All she was ever known as or even just seen as in school or any public place was a pretty face. Not the kind sweetheart with a plethora of jokes always bubbling from her lips, but the girl with a fit body, silky hair, and a facial structure sculpted by God himself.

And Rowan doesn't want to complain because who wants to be the girl that constantly says, "Oh my God. Being pretty sucks." So, she stays quiet, letting everyone judge her for what she looks like, what she says, and not who she actually is.

"You okay?"

Rowan snapped out of her own thoughts to turn her head to look at her best friend. The strawberry blonde was already rummaging through Rowan's unpacked boxes to find a nice outfit for her. Lydia threw out a peach summer dress and Rowan instantly shook her head. Groaning, Lydia's smile fell from her face and she just threw the dress over her shoulder. It landed on Rowan's face.

Before she could start complaining, Lydia already had her back turned to her, shifting through her box of shoes. "Oh!" Lydia squealed, lifting out a pair of thigh high black boots out of the box. "These are so cute. You should wear these with a dress, or a skirt, or a—oh my gosh!" Lydia rambled on, gliding through Rowan's messy room. She arrived last week, but was still too mentally and physically exhausted to unpack all the boxes.

Lydia continued to talk to herself as Rowan begrudgingly rose from her place on the ground to trudge to the mirror. She plopped down onto the seat that came with the vanity and raked a brush through her messy waves of brown locks. After Rowan came back into the room from washing her face and brushing her teeth, Lydia threw a high waisted deep brown skirt and navy blue top onto the bed.