TWENTY ONE ➳ BEHIND THE BLEACHERS

Scott came back to the field as Rowan was in the midst of tapping her fingers on her thigh. Lydia has still yet to return, but here Scott was, sitting on the bench with Stiles as he put his shoes and gear on. They shared a few words before Stiles began to wave his arms around and yell in excitement. He turned to Rowan with a bright smile and waved.

Confused, she waved back, but Stiles was back to slapping Scott in the shoulder to care. The new co-captain, as told by Scott's new white jersey, stood up from the bench, leaving Stiles.

Lydia climbed up the metal bleachers and plopped herself down. Her cheeks were flushed and Rowan was wondering if she just put on too much of her blush.

"What'd you get from your car?" Rowan asked, eyeing her skeptically.

Lydia turned to her after watching the new and improved Number 11 (Scott) take the field for an offense drill. Stiles was finally participating, right behind Scott in line. Rowan felt her heart swell with Stiles's appearance at the first line practice.

Maybe that's why he's so happy.

Lydia scratched at the back of her head. "What do you mean, what did I get from my car? I told you I was going to the bathroom," she stated.

Rowan ripped her stare off of Stiles to look at the strawberry blonde. Why'd she mix up her excuse? Before she could question any further, Coach Finstock blew the whistle and the drill began.

A player would run up to score a goal, but had to get past the two defenders before he actually could. Jackson did it effortlessly and Lydia clapped with a smug smirk on her face.

"That's my boyfriend," she singsonged as Jackson high-fived a teammate.

Rowan rolled her eyes, just wanting to tell her she should dump him. It wasn't the first time Rowan had that thought. It wasn't even the last time.

It was Scott's turn, but as soon as he dashed forward, he was immediately knocked down to the grass. The defense players only laughed and congratulated each other on a good play. From Rowan perspective, she just watched Scott rise as Finstock screamed at him.

"Who's number twenty four?" Lydia asked as Scott cut the line right in front of that player. He shoved his white stick against their throat as Finstock encouraged the aggression.

Rowan's eyes widened slightly at Lydia's question. Oh my God, is she interested in him? she thought to herself as she nibbled wildly at her finger nails.

"Stiles," the brunette said, eyes darting over to see Lydia's expression.

The pale girl shook her head in disgust and Rowan became offended, yet somewhat relieved. First off, Stiles was an absolute cutie to her. She'd get offended if anyone insulted him. Secondly, Rowan was happy that Lydia didn't have a thing for Stiles. Still, she sighed to herself as she remembered that Stiles's heart belongs to the girl beside her.

She turned her attention back to the practice, just in time to see Scott sprint through the grass to body slam into one of the defense players. The first one went down easily as Rowan gasped. Yet, the teenage boy did not stop there as he shoved his shoulder into the second player, sending him to the dirt. Last but not least, Scott dashed for the goalie, smacked him in the face with his stick, inevitably causing him to collapse.

Lydia sat there, hand over her mouth as Rowan shrugged. "At least he got the goal," she stated, trying to be optimistic, but Lydia smacked her upside the head.

"He hit Danny!" Lydia said as she grabbed her purse and rushed down the bleachers.

After scrambling to collect her books that Rowan sprawled out all over the seats, she chased after Lydia. "Who the hell is Danny?" she called out as Lydia power walked over to the group of concerned lacrosse players. Rowan could faintly hear Finstock yelling at a kid named Greenberg to stop being so annoying. He was only trying to hand Danny a towel for his bloody nose.