THREE ➳ THE OTHER NEW GIRL

Rowan asked a teacher if she could point her in the direction for her first period class, which was English. The woman glared at her and muttered something about unaware teenagers and their cell phones before leading her to the room. Before she dropped her off though, she mumbled, "At least this one's pretty," and left Rowan with a shocked expression and an offended ego.

The class hasn't started yet, so Rowan hiked her purse higher onto her small shoulders and walked into the classroom confidently, only to realize there were only a few empty seats and Buzzcut Boy and Scott were sitting in the back.

Crap, Rowan thought, giving the stout, bald teacher a forced smile. He only gave her a scowl and glare in return. Wow, the staff here is so nice. She scanned the room trying to find anywhere to sit, only to realize that there were three seats open. There was one by this guy in a letterman jacket who kept winking at her excessively. You got a twitch, buddy? She shook her head at him and glanced at the two seats by Scott and Scott's unnamed friend. There was one next to either of them since they sat diagonally from each other. From the way Scott's friend kept his stare on Rowan, she felt like all he saw her as was another pretty face. Scott, on the other hand, longingly stared at the window and that was all Rowan needed to sit next to him, even if it was still in front of the pale brunette.

The bell rang and the teacher began the lesson by writing on the chalk board. Not even thirty seconds in, Rowan felt like falling asleep, something she didn't get much of with last night's events.

"As you all know, there indeed was half a body found in the woods last night," the teacher said, causing Rowan's drooping eyelids to shoot open in shock. "They are still looking for the other half." Memories of a torn apart corpse with lifeless eyes replayed in Rowan's mind. Although the classroom was warm, she still shivered. They haven't found it yet? Where is it?

Another chill ran up her spine when the boy sitting behind her leaned forward and whispered. "Speaking of which, did you really find the body?" he murmured into Rowan's ear. She waved her hand around like there was an annoying mosquito buzzing around somewhere near her.

"I wasn't even in the woods last night. Seeing me must have been a figment of your imagination or something," Rowan replied, using words she said before when she was in fact, lost in the woods. She heard the boy chuckle to himself. From behind her, he leant forward, chin in the palm of his hand and mind intrigued by this new girl.

"Oh please, I recognize your voice. What's the accent? Australian? Kiwi? Brit—"

"Mr. Stilinski!" the teacher boomed, causing the boy to scramble back into his seat. The scraping of metal against the tiled floor of the classroom echoed through the room, making most of the students wince, especially Scott. Rowan flashed him a concerned expression, but he seemed way too focused on something else to notice. "Would you and our new student like to share what you were talking about?"

Rowan sunk further down into her chair when everyone, including the eye twitching jock, turned around to look at them in the back of the classroom. She stayed quiet as Stilinski said, "Uh, English?" He made it seem more like a question than a reply, causing Rowan to squeeze her eyes shut and hope that his idiocy doesn't get her a detention on the first day of school.

"Talk about that on your own time." Isn't this an English class? "Now, if you may, give your undivided attention to the syllabus..." Rowan zoned out again at his words. She couldn't help it. It's just the sound of his voice felt like an awful, but effective lullaby. Stilinski stayed quiet behind her and because he wasn't bothering her, she felt her eyes slowly shut once again.

Suddenly, the door swung open and that scared Rowan out of her sleepy state. Rowan recognized the vice principal from the meeting she had with him earlier this week to discuss her schedule. "Class," he began, gesturing to the girl he walked in with. She was pretty in Rowan's opinion, but instead of just focusing on her appearance, she wondered what her personality was like. "This is our new student, Allison Argent. Please do your best to make her feel welcome."