THIRTY TWO ➳ ON THE FIELD

Where is she? Rowan screamed in frustration, spinning around in the parking lot to find at least one clue that would lead her towards her best friend. She tugged at the hair she took an hour to curl, not caring for the superficial things anymore, but the safety of her best friend. This wasn''t supposed to happen. I was supposed to keep everyone safe.

Rowan felt tears prick her eyes, inevitably messing up the eyeliner on her waterline. No, she told herself, balling her hands into fists. Her nails dug into the skin of her palms painfully as she searched the premises. This is not the time to cry. It's the time to use your natural talent. You are a hunter. Hunters look for clues.

Anxiously, Rowan raked through every word she exchanged with Lydia earlier that day. She was excited about the Formal, despite her date, but Lydia was always positive. She had a good time. The brunette even watched her dance with Hunter, even if it was reluctantly.

Rowan rubbed a hand over her face in distress before walking deeper into the lot, trees suddenly becoming more eerie than they should be. They loomed over her as she stomped around the asphalt, heart pounding. Her eyes fell on the jeep. Not the time to think about him, Rowan, she scolded herself.

Suddenly, her green gaze fell onto the porsche where she was rudely shoved into the backseat on multiple occasions. Jackson. She was looking at Jackson while she danced. Lydia still loves him. She came out here to find him. Rowan screamed in delight, causing everyone in the lot who snuck out of the dance to smoke to turn to her. Even the euphoria of their drugs couldn't explain why Rowan took off towards the lacrosse field.

Her heels slammed onto the pavement as she collected every ounce of energy within her to make it to the field as quickly as she could. From all those jogs, Rowan had to be somewhat fast, right? Tears kept welling up in her green eyes, but she refused to let them fall. Now was not the time.

Rowan's lungs seemed to inhale this large breath of air when she finally reached the stupid lacrosse field with the stupid teenage girl walking around in the darkness. "Lydia!" Rowan screeched, sprinting towards her best friend with a heavy heart. She almost let the tears of happiness fall when Lydia confusedly called out Rowan's name in return.

Before any other words could be exchanged, Rowan tackled Lydia in a hug where her nose nuzzled a home into Lydia's perfect hair. She wrapped her up like she hasn't seen this girl in eighty four years, and Lydia quizzically hugged her back and asked her what was wrong.

"Nothing. Nothing's wron-"

The lights of the dark field suddenly switched on, illuminating the field like it would at a lacrosse game. The two immediately pull away from one another in fright to cower underneath the newly found illumination. As Rowan struggled to open her eyes from the sudden contrast in lighting, Lydia intelligently placed a hand over her eyes and saw a dark shadow in the distance.

"Jackson?" she called out, remembering why she was came here in the first place. Idiotically, the strawberry blonde already began to walk towards it, now out of arms length from Rowan. "Jackson!" Lydia called out, getting farther away from her best friend.

"Lydia, no!" Rowan screamed, blindly running after her best friend. "That's not him," she told her, somehow finding her forearm with her impaired vision. Why is it taking me so long to focus? Rowan held a death grip onto Lydia. "Stay close to me."

"Don't be silly," Lydia scoffed before ripping her arm away from Rowan. "Jackson, is that you?" she called out one last time before stepping incredibly close to the unknown figure.