SIXTEEN ➳ QUESTIONING

Rowan didn't want to believe it. Derek is a human. That thing? The one in the hallway? That was not a human being.

She turned to Stiles for answers to see him already looking at the side of her head, but he shook his head no. Rowan looked to everyone else, yet they all looked so sure that that creature outside was a definite human being. Was it though? Was Rowan just imagining things?

"Call the cops," Jackson ordered and Stiles scoffed and disagreed. "What do you mean no?" Jackson spat, stepping forward to get into the other boy's face.

Stiles rolled his eyes as Rowan tried to keep her breathing steady. We're gonna die. "I mean no. You wanna hear it in Spanish? No." Stiles sassed, adding an accent to his last word. Rowan would have laughed if her heart wasn't slowly sinking into the pit of her stomach. She didn't believe Derek was the murderer. It had to be that animal, but Rowan disagreed with herself on that one too. Werewolves don't exist. "Look, Derek killed three people, okay? We don't know what he's armed with."

He's armed with fangs and claws. Rowan pinched her arm. Werewolves don't exist.

Jackson glared at the awkward boy and Rowan stepped in between them. That didn't stop him from screaming, "Your dad is armed with a whole sheriff's department! Call him."

Stiles shook his head as Lydia rolled her eyes. She fished her phone out of her purse. "I'm calling," she declared and Stiles reached for her arm to stop her. Jackson pushed him off quickly, causing him to stumble back. Scott ran to his friend's side as Rowan pushed Jackson back by his chest.

"Calm down," she whispered and Jackson looked deeply into Rowan's sad eyes. He nodded and Stiles gawked at them.

"Yes, we're at Beacon Hills High School. We're trapped and we need you to—" Lydia's eyebrows cinched in confusion. "But—" Shocked, Lydia turned back around. "She hung up on me."

Allison's eyes widened. "The police hung up on you?"

Lydia began to speak rapidly, eyebrows raised and heart trashing around within her. "She said they got a tip warning them that there are gonna be prank calls about a break in at the high school," her green eyes flickered up to meet everyone's shocked expressions. "She said if I called again that they're gonna trace it and have me arrested."

"Then call again," Allison drawled out like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Lydia snapped her neck towards the raven haired girl. Rowan gripped Allison's hand, trying to calm her down. She understood how nervous she was because she was equally as anxious to just get the hell out of here.

Stiles closed his eyes and sighed. "No, they won't trace a cell and they'll send a car to your house before they send anyone here," he explained. Everyone stood straighter at his words, the tension being so thick that someone could slice it with a knife.

"What the—" Allison choked on her own words. "What—" she buried her face in her hands, breathing deeply before looking back up. "What is this? Why does Derek wanna kill us? Why is he killing anyone?" she rambled and Rowan hugged her from the side. She watched an episode on Grey's Anatomy that a strong pressure to a person's torso, or a hug, could calm someone down. Although no one was trying to comfort anyone else, Rowan didn't want anyone to break down, knowing what it felt like to completely break.

All eyes fell on Scott with Allison's questions. Noticing this, he widened his eyes. "Why's everyone looking at me?" he squawked, and Rowan gave him a sympathetic smile. It was the first time in a while that she felt her lips crack into a small grin.

"Is he the one who sent her the text?" Lydia asked.

"No, I mean, I don't know!" Scott sighed. His eyebrows furrowed, trying to find the right answer.