THIRTEEN ➳ MENDING FRIENDSHIPS

Rowan leant herself up against the lockers, headphones plugged into her ears as she tried writing once again. She knew she had these pent up emotions slowly building inside her, so she needed to rid of them like a righteous woman banishing her demons.

It was Rowan's free period, so thankfully, most students were in classrooms instead of in the hallways with her. Human interaction isn't something she felt like doing right now, especially when she's trying so hard to spill her soul out through a mere pen. Still, Rowan watched as the ink seeped into the lined paper of her notebook, not lifting the burden off her shoulders whatsoever.

Suddenly, something nudged her in the side and she turned to her right to see Jackson there, eyes tired and face sullen. He gave her a nod as a hello before sinking to the tiled floor beside her.

"What are you writing?" he asked after he pulled a headphone out of Rowan's ear. She didn't even try to fight him, causing Jackson to raise an eyebrow. It was odd to see the brunette at such a vulnerable state. She was powerless, yet guarded, which confused him.

As he put the earbud in his own ear so they both listened to the soft sound of her indie music, Rowan put her notebook down. "Apparently nothing," she sighed as the two of them casted a glance down at the blank page. Rowan turned her head to inspect Jackson's face. He looked so beaten down and exhausted. "Do you have a free period, too or?"

Jackson shook his head, chuckling softly. "No, I-I just don't like sitting through Chem."

"Yeah, I get that. Mr. Harris is Satan reincarnated," Rowan joked.

Jackson laughed softly at that, confused as to why he did. He didn't think he had it in him to actually do that. The same thing happened with Rowan. She didn't think she was capable of cracking a joke in the mental state she was in.

Soon enough, the smiles fell from their faces. As Rowan's expression remained neutral, she noticed that Jackson's lips did a complete 180 and fell into a frown.

"You okay?" she questioned. It seemed that that phrase has been going around a lot lately. It may have been the crappy high school environment all the students have been corrupted by or maybe it was just Rowan.

Jackson fumbled with his bag, looking dead ahead at the opposite wall instead of Rowan. "I just wanted to apologize for being a jerk to you, and to Allison, and to Scott, and to basically everyone who I have ever spoken to," he said and Rowan nodded in understanding.

A piece of hair fell onto her forehead, but she made no move to tuck it back behind her ear. Rowan pivoted her head to look at Jackson who was already looking at her. Before she could say another word, he was already talking.

"What about you? How've you been?"

Sighing, Rowan tilted her head back to rest on the blue lockers. The soothing sound of music didn't calm her nerves.

"Do you want me to lie, or tell the truth?" she asked as Jackson stared at her. His eyes trailed from her lips to her eyes in a matter of seconds.

"Truth."

She smiled bitterly. "Kinda bad, to be honest," Rowan confessed as the two of them sat in silence. The only sounds bouncing off the corridor halls was the sound of loud classroom and their own steady breathing.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jackson offered, sounding more sincere than Rowan has ever heard him. This wasn't the same lacrosse captain from the first day of school who belittled everyone in his path. This was a completely different person that Rowan sees herself being friends with.