FIFTEEN ➳ EXPOSED

Rowan was confused. She felt like she couldn't breathe at all, yet her chest heaved up and down for some sort of oxygen. Rowan was breathing, she knew she was, but at the same time, she felt that she wasn't breathing at all.

All of their feet pounded against the hallways, running from door to door, but all of them were locked. Rowan kept telling herself not to freak out, especially when the bottle inside was slowly deteriorating. She couldn't help herself.

Stiles let go of her wrist during the run, leaving Rowan panicked and unsure of what to do. However, he would constantly looked back at her to make sure she was still right on his heels. Never in her life has Rowan hated school as much as she did right now.

Scott ran for the cafeteria doors and sighed in relief when they easily pushed open to reveal chairs stacked on tables. Stiles looked over everyone's heads to see Rowan panting excessively from the sprint, although she ran three times a week. As he studied the rest of the room, his heart fell.

"Help me get this in front of the door!" Scott commanded and Jackson didn't even blink as he pried Lydia's death grip off of his arm. She dropped her mouth in shock as he used all his strength to barricade the entrance. Rowan still felt the beast's breath on her neck, even if she knew it couldn't get in.

Stiles turned around, eyes meeting the wall. Rowan spun with him, breath hitching in her throat the moment she realized.

"Scott, wait," Stiles tried to say. "Not here," he begged, but no one would listen. Lydia was shoving stacks of chairs towards the two lacrosse players. They stacked everything they possibly could against the double doors.

Allison tried her best to keep the tears from falling, but her brown eyes still glazed over in petrification. "What was that?" she asked, but no one could give her an answer. Jackson and Scott continued to stack furniture and Lydia was trying to regulate her breathing. Rowan tried not to think about it, trying to go back to a time where things were alright, where her family was still alive and her mental state was still sane. "Scott, what was that?" Allison implored, getting ignored once more.

Stiles's eyes were still darting across the cafeteria, palms sweating as he attempted to get everyone's attention. He looked over everyone's terrified features with guilt, but his heart broke at Rowan's face. Her eyebrows were furrowed, causing a crease to form on her forehead. She nibbled at her bottom lip as she shook excessively from the horror she just experienced.

"What came out of the ceiling?" Lydia whispered to herself. Her head snapped at Scott and then Stiles, waiting for an answer. Stiles shook his head and Scott kept running around the room to push it towards the door.

Scott shook his head. "Will you just help me? The chairs, stack the chairs," he begged. Jackson, after rolling his eyes, helped him. Rowan looked at the wall behind her, heart beating against her chest.

"Guys, can we just wait a second?" Stiles started to say, only for Scott to interrupt him by slamming chairs above the table he used to block the door. "You guys, listen to me, w—"

Allison was breathing heavily, tugging at her curly hair to comprehend the situation at hand. Lydia didn't plan on dying today, so she grabbed at any piece of furniture and forced Jackson to move it.

"Guys! Stile's talking. Can we just wait a second?" the boy stressed, shouting the words now with his hands cupped around his mouth. His words were amplified, but everyone was too deep in their ocean of fear to take a deep breath of reality.

Rowan felt empty without a strong sense of comfort and she started to freak out because she couldn't hold onto anything else. Reality was slowly melting into nothingness. Her lungs seemed to have imploded within her as she backed herself up against the wall of windows. Her back was pressed against the wall as she clutched her messy brown hair. Rowan hoped that the pain would snap her out of this severe terror, but it only reminded her how real this was.