NINETEEN ➳ HELP

The five of them sat on or stood beside the chemistry table. Allison sat with her legs crossed on the surface, face buried in her hands as Rowan sat beside her. The brunette leant her back against the wall and stared blankly towards the windows that illuminated the dark room with soft beams of moonlight.  Stiles held Rowan's limp hand, caressing the back of it with his thumb. No one questioned what happened in the back table of the room, fearing that something like that would happen again.

Jackson stood close to Allison as she cried and Lydia stood beside him as well, eyes darting around the room in fear. The room would have been quiet if it weren't for the sounds of Allison's weeping. Rowan glanced at her, taking her stare off of the window and its light.

She was hunched over, sobbing lightly. Rowan closed her eyes momentarily, breathing in and out slowly before opening them once again. The room stayed the same and so did the unsettling noises that led back to Allison.

"I don't get this. I don't get why he's out there, or why he left us," Allison rambled, lifting her face to reveal her tearstained cheeks. Rowan rubbed at her puffy eyes, knowing she looked ten times worse than Allison. "A-And I can't-I can't stop my hands from shaking," she cried, looking down at her own hands in fear.

Stiles sighed deeply, resting his head against the wall beside the table and then glanced at Rowan. She had her eyebrows furrowed as her gaze trailed from around the classroom to Jackson. He leant in closer to Allison, placing his hands on top of her's. Lydia tried to rip her gaze away from the scene, but it was like the contact compelled her to watch.

"It's okay," Jackson cooed and the black haired girl looked up at him through sad eyes. Rowan knew that Jackson was trying to be a better person, but if he was, why would he comfort Allison, but not his own girlfriend? "It's okay. It's gonna be okay," he promised and Lydia's gaze fell to the floor.

Allison gave him a sad smile before thanking him and his act of kindness. Rowan couldn't help but roll her eyes before shutting them. She was so sleepy, her own mental health taking a toll on her.

But, she felt lighter nonetheless. All of the emotions weighing her down finally lifted from her shoulders. Maybe a mental break down was what Rowan needed to keep herself from having another one.

"Guys," Rowan whispered, eyes still shut. She didn't know, but everyone turned to her and her groggy voice. "This may be really bad timing, but I really want to take a nap."

They all chuckled softly, wondering how the brunette is now adding some sort of happy light to the situation. Rowan opened her eyes, giving everyone a lazy smile. Then, she scooted closer to Stiles, hands still entwined, and rested her head against his shoulder. He gasped slightly, but Rowan didn't even notice. She just let her eyes fall shut to the sound of everyone's steady breathing.

The room felt silent again as Rowan rested her eyes. She was in the stage where she was sleeping, but still somewhat conscious enough to hear their voices as they spoke. There was a tired, exhausted sigh from someone every now and then, and sometimes there'd be a small sniffle from Allison. The brunette felt someone brush back a piece of hair that fell onto her red and blotchy face. With that, Rowan snuggled herself farther into Stiles's side. If she was ever to be in a state this tired, she'd never think about the effects of her actions.

"Jackson, you handed me the sulfuric acid, right? It has to be sulfuric acid, or else it won't ignite," Rowan heard Lydia ask worriedly as she let herself slip into a slumber.

"I gave you exactly what you asked for tonight," Jackson snapped and that's what Rowan fell asleep to: a bitter comment that cracked a piece of her best friend's heart.