THIRTY ONE ➳ SELFISH

Rowan could not believe that she was freaking out like a stereotypical, sixteen year old as she ran around her room for those one pair of heels she lost. I am not a stereotype, she spat in her own head as she stomped around the carpeted floor. Rowan dug her hand deeply into a cardboard box to pull out a blue stiletto she didn't even know she packed. Groaning, she chucked it onto her bed. My parents are dead. They're hunters. Apparently, I'm a hunter now too, Rowan thought as she knelt down to rummage through another box. Werewolves exist. I have to protect my whole school from one too. That's not stereotypical at all.

She gave up, running to her connected bathroom to slip off her robe. Ripping the dress from the hanger, Rowan tugged it up her tan body, almost choking on her own saliva when she realized the time. It was fifteen minutes until the time Stiles said he would pick her up. Zipping herself up like the independent girl she was, Rowan sprinted back into her room to look for those stupid shoes.

Maybe I'm not nervous about this supposed date, she thought. Maybe it's because I don't know how to defend everyone from a supernatural creature that has been murdering literally everyone in this stupid town.

Rowan mentally scolded herself, knowing that she should have unpacked her boxes after moving in almost four months ago, but Rowan just never felt up for it. Keeping those items in the dark kept her memories of her old life away.

But now, now, Rowan regretted it with every fiber of her being. She had all her makeup on, despite her lipstick because it seemed that she had lost that as well, and she was crawling across the ground to find this stupid pair of shoes. And worst of all, Stiles said he was on his way, four minutes ago.

Stiles lived ten minutes away.

Rowan sprinted around her bedroom, screaming viciously as she tore apart each box to find those red heels. You should have laid them out the night before, she could hear her mother nag her. Rowan had to refrain from rolling her eyes, knowing that Mrs. Bauer would say that if she were still here. If her mom really was there though, she would never even have to pack those shoes away, so Rowan thought that bitterly as well.

"I hate myself," she seethed, hurling a pair of black pumps at her empty closet. Rowan hadn't unpacked and she also hasn't filled her storage with her variety of clothes. Grumbling, she trudged to her nightstand, aggressively pulling the drawer open to reveal a small black box that Kate had given her this morning.

Popping the lid open, Rowan's eyes met a band that held three small throwing knives. If she were to twist the bottom of the dagger off, she would find a vial of something called wolfsbane that Kate said she should use to her advantage. Rowan didn't even know what the hell a wolfsbane was, but she took the package anyway.

She didn't want to do this. She didn't want to be a hunter and kill things. Rowan wanted to be a normal, stereotypical teenage girl who was more worried about going on a date with the boy she's been crushing on for the whole school year than protecting everyone from their inevitable deaths. She wanted her parents back. She wanted a night full of spiked punch and uncontrollable laughter with Stiles. But most of all, Rowan wanted to find that stupid pair of red heels that she'll most likely stab herself with by the time she finds them.

It's okay. They're red, so the blood won't stain. Sighing, Rowan took the small knives from their compartment, recognizing the engraved B on the side of the handle. And of course these are some family heirloom that I don't know why Kate has. After a couple minutes of confusion, Rowan realized it was a garter and slipped it onto her thigh.

Now, she was shuffling through the last box of shoes to find...

"Yes! Oh my God! Oh my-What the-It's here! It's actually in my hand!" Rowan screamed excitedly, leaping into the air with the laced up red heel in her clammy grip. She squealed noisily before reaching her hand back into the box to retrieve the other one.