TWENTY SEVEN ➳ WHIPLASH

"So, we're gonna sabotage Mrs. McCall's date because Scott doesn't like who she's dating?" Rowan repeated for the hundredth time as Stiles sped down the highway. He nodded his head spastically, taking a sharp turn onto a new exit. Rowan flew against the door, despite the seatbelt strapping her down.

Stiles sighed loudly, tapping his nails against the wheel when the light before them gleamed red. Rowan picked up Stiles's cup of frozen yogurt as he drove and she fed him a spoonful of his own dessert.

"Thank you," he mumbled through a mouthful of cookie dough. Rowan nodded her head.

"How are we gonna ruin the date? Do we even know where they are?" Rowan questioned as Stiles slammed his palms against the wheel. He drummed up a random beat to calm his anxiety as Rowan finished up her frozen yogurt. "Stiles!" she called out as the hyperactive boy snapped his neck towards her. He blushed when he realized he was way more jittery than he should be. "Are you okay? What's so bad about this guy? It's not like he's a serial killer or anything," Rowan joked.

Stiles stayed quiet, eyes widening when Rowan spoke. He slammed his foot on the gas as Rowan gasped. "He's not a serial killer, right?" she repeated as Stiles jerked his head back in discomfort.

"Define serial killer," he said nervously,

"I don't know, maybe someone who goes to the grocery store with a knife to stab a box of Lucky Charms," Rowan deadpanned with sarcasm dripping from her numb lips.

The frozen yogurt was so cold that she felt herself shiver in her seat. Even if it was California, winter was soon approaching and Rowan already adapted to the temperatures here. If she had to spend this season in New York, she'd probably be dead. 

"Hanging out with me gets pretty great doesn't it? Like, I took you out for fro-yo, got to know each other a little more, and now we're gonna figure out a scheme to send this date to shit," Stiles blabbered. Rowan gave him an faux annoyed look, causing him to throw his hands in the air in protest. "This is fun! This da—ng out is so great! Wonderful! Spectacular!" Stiles chanted, beginning to sweat profusely. He fanned at his arm pits awkwardly as Rowan furrowed her eyebrows.

Did he almost call this a date? Does he want this to be a date? What about Lydia?

"We're still playing the question game, correct?" Rowan asked, taking notice to Stiles's evident freak out.

She picked up his cup and gave him the last spoonful of his own dessert. Stiles gave her a wide grin, admiring her ability to read people so well. The cool taste of peanut butter soothed his nerves.

"Yeah, it's your turn to ask me something."

Rowan fidgeting with her fingers, and then began to pick at the hem of her sweater. Her green eyes were trained at her shoes, wondering if she should really ask this question. What if you don't get the answer you want? She quickly glanced over at Stiles who was oblivious to her stare. But what if you never get the guy you want?

"Do you still love Lydia?"

Stiles furrowed his eyebrows and snapped his neck towards Rowan. She wasn't smiling, only nibbling at her bottom lip nervously. Rowan blushed slightly, bits of red flushing her cheeks as Stiles gawked at her question.

"D-Do I what?" he stuttered, pausing at another traffic light from another exit. He awkwardly rubbed his hair as Rowan repeated the question.