TWENTY EIGHT ➳ THE PORCH

Stiles pulled into Rowan's driveway skillfully, parking the car swiftly in the designated spot. The two sat in silence, only the sound of "Complicated," by Avril Lavigne puncturing the still quiet. The two glanced at each other for a brief second before smiling brightly and blushing. They both shifted their focus to their own feet with thoughts of each other running through their minds.

"I'll see you at school," Rowan said while she unbuckled her seatbelt. Her palms were sweating as she did so.

She reached for the unlocked handle, but Stiles quickly stopped her. He held her forearm softly, sending electric sparks up her body with just that simple touch. Stiles asked her to wait and Rowan instantly sunk back into the passenger seat.

"Rowan," he started, and she felt her heart stop at the sound of her full name leave his mouth. Stiles retracted his touch back to his own side, fiddling nervously with the hem of his plaid shirt. "Do you have a date to Winter Formal?" Stiles inquired. "I wouldn't be surprised honestly. You're literally the most amazing girl in the school." Stiles squeezed his eyes shut when he blurted out that last part.

"I don't have a date actually," Rowan informed him.

"Seriously?" Stiles gawked. Rowan cocked an eyebrow in offense before he began to splutter out an apology. "S-Sorry, I just-You're one of the greatest girls I have ever met in my life and I always think someone will get the chance to be loved by you before I—"

"Stiles," Rowan laughed, leaning forward and grabbing his shaking hands in her own. Stiles widened his eyes, words falling short and eyes darting up to look at her. She had an encouraging smile that genuinely kickstarted his heart onto a whole other level. "I'd love to go to Winter Formal with you if that's what you're asking."

"L-Like a date?" he stuttered, mouth opening slightly in disbelief. He couldn't comprehend that Rowan Bauer actually wanted to go with him, the awkward teenage boy with no girl experience. "B-Because you don't have to. We could h-hang out again, but at a dance this time, a-and carpool! Yes, carpool!"

Rowan rolled her eyes playfully before leaning in very closely, enough to make their noses graze. Stiles went crosseyed, staring down at how their lips were so close. If either of them even flinched, they could be kissing.

Despite Rowan's racing heart, her confidence shined through her exterior. She smiled brightly before swiftly leaning her head to the side to peck a quick kiss to Stiles's cheek. Stiles's mouth dropped, gawking at Rowan as she grinned and exited the car.

Before she could get inside, Stiles leant forward, chest pressed against the wheel. He quickly jabbed down on the button beside his car door, letting the window of the passenger side slide down.

"Rowan!" he called out, causing Rowan to turn around by the front door.

Her brown hair flipped over her shoulder as she reacted to her own name. When her eyes fell onto Stiles and his wide, goofy smile, she grinned herself.

"Yeah?" she replied while Stiles felt his breath become ragged.

He rubbed at the back of his neck nervously as Rowan stood idle on the porch. Stiles waved awkwardly before settling his trembling hands back on the wheel. He cleared his throat.

"Was this a good date?" he shouted.

If it was even possible, Rowan's smile widened furthered. Maybe there is hope for us. Maybe Stiles does like me. "I thought we were only hanging out," the brunette replied, shrugging her shoulders.

"But did you have a good time?"

Rowan laughed to herself softly before nodding her head. She had the silliest smile etched onto her features as she stared at Stiles. "I had a great time on this date. Now, go home and get some sleep," Rowan ordered while pointing down the street, the route to his own house.