Chapter 2: Locker Buddies

↳ FIRST DAY AFTER FALL BREAK

Oct. 10th ↵

"Catherine!" My dad hollered from downstairs, probably for the third time. "Come on! We have to get breakfast at Pop's this morning. We don't have any food in the house."

I opened my eyes, forgetting I was in Riverdale. All of it felt like a crazy dream. I wasn't quite sure yet if it was a good dream or not.

I got up and quickly threw on a pair of black jeans and an oversized baseball tee. My outfits were always plain and simple. I was either wearing a sweater or a large tee shirt. I didn't care enough to waste my time digging through my closet for an outfit every morning.

However, I did care about makeup and hair. I combed through my hair to rid it of knots but made sure to not lose my curls. I spent around ten minutes doing my makeup until dad burst into my room and forced me out. I tucked my lipstick in my backpack so I could do that later.

I got in the car with dad and brought down the overhead mirror to make sure my eyeliner looked sharp.

"Where's mom?" I asked, gently touching my eyelashes.

"Work," he shook his head, backing out of the driveway.

I never knew my mom's schedule since it was always so hectic. She would get called into work at random times. Some days, when I was younger, I would be forgotten at school and be picked up two hours later by my dad, who rushed out of work in a panic.

Dad and I got to Pop's and I ordered the same thing as yesterday. I ate pretty fast, while my dad took his time.

My stomach swirled a little, thinking about my first day at a new school. The idea of being late to school and forgetting my new classes nagged at me.

"Hey, Dad?" I asked.

He looked up at me, his dark eyebrows raised, forehead crinkling.

"Can I walk to school right now? I don't want to risk being late."

My dad sighed before saying "Alright. Don't forget, your car will be here in a few days so you can drive to school."

I smiled and nodded, before standing up. I kissed my dad on his scruffy cheek before saying bye.

I snuck into the bathroom at Pop's really quick to put on my pink nude lipstick. It was my number one favorite lipstick and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It was semi-matte so it was smooth but also long wearing. Mom bought it for me a while ago and I haven't used any other lipstick since.

I ran out of the door and began my journey to school. I got the directions off my phone since I had no memory of where the school was.

The walk was quiet. There was a gentle breeze in the air and the sun was already out. I observed the houses and trees I passed by, taking in the fact that I was actually back and it all wasn't a dream.