Chapter 6: Confidential

↳ Saturday

↳ Saturday

Oct. 22nd↵

Before I had gone to bed at Betty's, I put in a new SD card in my camera and put the important one in my backpack for safe keeping. I also didn't want to take any more pictures on the same SD card because Jughead might see them and critique them.

I fell asleep that night on Betty's floor, wrapped up in a sleeping bag with a comfy pillow. I woke up to some footsteps in the room. I saw Betty's dad was looking through my things, before looking at my camera. I panicked, not knowing whether to confront him or accept my defeat.

I grabbed Betty's blanket and slowly pulled it down towards me. Naturally, she pulled it back, but I yanked it. She woke up, panicked and alarmed to catch her dad caught in the act. I pretended to be asleep.

"Dad!" Betty hissed. "What are you doing?" I peeked my eyes opened to look at him. He had a crazy look in his eyes, one eye wider than the other. He was obviously determined to find something on me. Pointing at me, he scoffed, "She's just using you to get to us, Betty. She's doing the dirty work for her mother."

"Look. Get out and I won't say a word about any of this. She's been up here the whole time besides dinner," Betty covered for me.

Her dad was about to argue, but he bit his tongue. He set down my camera and walked out of her room. Betty looked over at me with a tired sigh.

"I know you're not asleep."

"Betty. That was scary," I admitted, opening my eyes to see her peeking over her bed.

"I know. I'm sorry," she apologized. "We need to know the truth though."

I nodded, curling up into a ball. I quickly fell back to sleep since I never had any sleep issues before. I didn't feel as safe as I wanted, but what was the worst her parents could do to me? Kill me?

↳ Sunday

Oct. 23rd↵

I woke up the next morning to smell fresh eggs and bacon. Betty was already awake and on her laptop.

"Did I miss breakfast?" I groaned, sitting up. I rubbed my eyes and yawned before looking over to Betty.

"No. It's almost ready though."

Betty and I walked downstairs, and I felt her parents eyes on me, glaring me down.

"Morning!" I forced a smile.

"Good morning, Catherine," her mom said, sounding upset.

Who was I kidding? She was always upset.

I sat down across from Betty, the same as yesterday. I wasted no time eating my food. After quietly eating for five minutes her father managed to say something. It was completely out of the blue.