Chapter 25: False Promise

Hour 1

Hour 1

↳ Saturday

Dec. 17th↲

Dear Jughead,

I am so sorry. None of this is your fault. This catastrophe is all because of my past following me and hurting others around me.

You are the best boyfriend I have ever had, and with that said, you don't deserve to be hurt. You didn't deserve being beaten up, and I realized it that night.

My plan was to grow distant from you so I could leave without any pain, but that obviously didn't work out. I didn't mean what I said, and if all goes well I should be back after the 18th (refer to folded note with list).

I received that note by Derek as you were recovering at Fred's, and decided against saying anything to not stir up panic and paranoia.

If anything does happen, please let that person know that I'm sorry.

And Jughead, I truly am sorry.

I'm sorry that I did end up leaving you yet again. I hate doing this to you since you're the last person I want to hurt.

I love you. I'm sorry.

Catherine

I blankly stared at the letter and then looked at the accompanying list. My chest felt as though someone had shot my heart at point blank range. I took a few steps back, before folding up the list and tucking it into my pocket. I found my mouth slightly agape as I tried to process it all.

"Jughead?"

I whipped my head around, thinking that I heard Catherine. Unfortunately, it was just her mother, also heartbroken.

"Would you mind if we had the letter to analyze, just in case she says anything important?" she questioned, which wasn't surprising since she was a detective.

I nodded, before saying: "She mentions a list in there but it wasn't in the envelope. Was it in yours?"

"No?" She raised her brows slightly. "Was it important?"

I shrugged, stepping towards the front door. "I'm sorry, but I just..." I felt my throat close up. In a broken voice, I finished the sentence. "I have to be alone."

I ran out of the house with my hand covering my mouth, trying to conceal my sobs. I eventually found the woods again and pressed my back against the tree before sliding down, the bark catching onto the fabric of my plaid jacket