Chapter 9: Abandoned

↳ WEEK OF HALLOWEEN

↳ WEEK OF HALLOWEEN

Oct. 30th↵

Over the course of the week, I waited for Betty to come forward. Finally, the night before the dance, she knocked on my door. She had a full backpack along with another bag to accompany her.

"I did it," she told me, softly and painfully.

I waved her inside with a small nod.

"Tell me what went down," I demanded, closing the front door.

She shuffled over to my couch and sat down on it, before eventually laying down. I stood in the kitchen making tea for the two of us.

"So, I went to Sheriff Keller and told him everything, and gave him the SD card that you gave me on Tuesday or Wednesday. I got interviewed and then I went home. The next thing I knew..." Betty choked up a little. "He was arrested. My mom looked so hurt and I knew I had to leave."

I let the kettle boil and returned to the living room area.

"You did the right thing," I honestly told her. "I'll ask my parents if you can stay, but I'm sure they'll say yes."

She gave me a weak smile before saying "Thanks."

I pulled out my phone and called my mom, knowing she would agree with me.

"Hi, Honey. I'm a bit busy," she told me.

"Sorry. I'll be quick," I apologized. "Can Betty stay over for a few nights? Her house is not in the best shape."

Without skipping a beat, my mom said: "Of course!" In a gleeful tone. "How about you two order pizza for the night, yeah? Dad will be home soon if he's not working overtime. Gotta go."

In an instant, she hung up.

"She said yes, and we can have pizza. What do you like?"

"Pepperoni," she gave me a cheesy smile. I grinned and nodded, dialing the pizza number.

As the phone rang, I still talked to her. "Here's what's gonna happen. We're gonna have pizza tonight. Tomorrow we'll be police on duty, have fun, dance till we're dead, and crash back here. Sound like a plan?"

Betty nodded, and the pizza guy answered the call. I ordered our pizza and he came within ten minutes. I gave him a nice tip and then watched some shows with Betty for a while. Instead of "I have to stay at your house because of my shitty parents" it turned into "Sleepover!" within the hour. The two of us ate our pizza, watched some old movies, and painted our own nails to truly get the typical "girly sleepover" experience.

Dad came home and met Betty, which wasn't all that exciting. He just accepted her staying here without any questions asked. We all kept watching TV until Betty and I grew tired and went to sleep for our big day tomorrow.