Chapter 22: The List

↳ Wednesday

↳ Wednesday

Nov. 23rd↲

BAM! BAM! BAM!

I shot upright in my bed, my eyes wide and my heart racing. I looked around to hear the three bangs again, quickly realizing that they were coming from the window.

"Cath, please," I heard Jughead whine. "It's cold out here. Let me in so we can talk?"

I got out of bed and shuffled over to the window, opening the blinds to see him standing on a ladder. My eyes went from narrow to wide. Confused as to how he got a ladder, I looked down to see Archie holding the bottom, his face red from the cold as his perfect teeth chattered.

I opened the window carefully, making sure to not cause Jughead to fall down.

He quickly stepped in, looking to be in better condition than earlier. I walked away, still upset. The red lights from my alarm clock flashed "3:45 A.M." in my face.

It was still awfully dark in my room—only the moonlight illuminating it— so I couldn't completely see Jughead.

Without saying bye to Archie, he closed the window behind him before turning to me.

He took in a deep breath, trying to think of what to say. Letting his hands fall to his side, he said the oddest and most hurtful statement.

"I'm sorry."

I stood in disbelief, letting the silence take over for a little bit.

"I just-... what?" I shook my head slightly, trying to wrap my head around why he was apologizing.

"I'm sorry for getting hurt. I'm also sorry for-"

"Stop," I interrupted him, taking his shoulders roughly. "Please. Just... stop. Don't say anything."

"Okay."

I was crying, my tear stains turning cold from the frigid air, but Jughead couldn't see this in the dark.

I gave him a hug, an attempt to let him know that I wasn't mad at him. I was mad at myself.

He quietly hugged me back, placing his chin on the top of my head. I nearly fell asleep in his arms from both the crying and lack of sleep.

"It's not your fault," was all I could say. "Don't apologize for anything like that ever again. You hear me?"

"Y-yeah?" He answered, a bit unsure of where I was coming from.

We sat in some more silence, and the darkness swallowed me whole.

。♡   。

I woke up, finding myself in my bed, curled up as if it was all a dream. I sat up to feel my eyes slightly crusted from the previous night's sorrows. I got out of bed and checked the window to see that it was, in fact, unlocked; proving that last night was real.