Chapter 26: Grief

One Week After Catherine's Disappearance

↳ Sunday

Dec. 25th ↲

I sulked on my way back home from school, as I had done every day this past week. My days felt duller and not worth-while with Catherine gone. Though school was out, I still occasionally slept in the cramped corner of the Janitors closet. I couldn't stand being home, alone, and I didn't want to inconvenience anyone else with my problems.

On top of all that, my dad had gotten accused of the murder of Jason Blossom, so I was essentially homeless and parentless. 

Everything around me was changing so quickly, and all of the signs were telling me that I didn't belong in Riverdale either. At least not the Northside. I should've been in the Southside, where the scrappy poor kid with a deadbeat dad belongs.

I even tried to go to Toledo, but my mom didn't seem to have room there. Yet another sign that I didn't belong there either.

I got to my dad's trailer to clean it up, knowing that I had thrashed it a mere few days ago once I discovered his arrest. It was also after I discovered my friends rummaged through my dad's trailer, trying to incriminate him even further.

Even my friends seemed to not be my friends anymore. Archie and Veronica went behind my back in all of this to snoop in my dad's trailer! It was all forgiven and in the past now, but I couldn't help but get angry and confused when I thought about it.

The janitors closet quickly became old. so I returned to my dad's trailer to be secluded from Riverdale, and the sinkhole it was crumbling into.

As I laid on the couch and watched cable, there was a knock on the door. It startled me, not expecting someone to come. My only thought was one of the serpents, or Sheriff Keller. Then, I had almost completely forgotten it was Christmas. I then assumed it could've also been carolers; though, they never came around the Southside.

Out of sheer curiosity, I opened the door to find it was neither; it was Betty. She gave me a bashful yet sympathetic smile. "Hey," she softly spoke, raising a bag of Pop's for me to see. "Merry Christmas."

"Hey," I breathed, a little surprised to see her. "C-come in. I was just watching T.V," I stepped aside.

"Oooh! What are you watching?" She asked, walking right in.

I closed the door behind her and turned around. "Uh, the news I guess. Instead of news, the weather woman is showing how to make the best apple pie for... today I guess," I spoke with fake enthusiasm.

She just laughed a little and sat down on the couch, pulling out a burger from the bag.

"Oh. You're staying."

She looked at me, before smiling slightly.

"I don't know," she sighed, looking down at her burger. "After Catherine left and your dad going to jail you've just been holed up in here, alone. Especially on Christmas. I thought you could use some company, but not too much."

"You know me so well," I smiled at her, taking a seat beside her before digging into the brown greasy bag. "I haven't eaten since yesterday."