𝐎𝐍𝐄

CHAPTER ONE | THE RETURN

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

RILEY EVANS' HEART THUMPED RAPIDLY IN HER CHEST THE MOMENT THAT SHE HEARD THE NEWS. She had hoped that after the events at the Founders Day with the attempted vampire round-up, everything would go back to normal— but it was far from normal. The strawberry blonde witch pushed the door to the emergency room open, and she saw Bonnie and Elena gathered in the corridor just outside, what she assumed, was Caroline's room.

"Guys! I got here as fast as I could." Riley called out to her two best friends, who immediately turned on their heels to look at her with somber expressions on their faces. "What is it? She's not—"

"She's weak," Bonnie confirmed with a slight nod as she watched a sadness wash across Riley's face. "They don't know if she's gonna make it."

"What? No. We can't just let her die."

"Riley's right. Is there something that either of you can do?" Elena glanced between the two witches with panic on her face. Even though both witches were relatively new to witchcraft, she hoped they could do something. "A spell or something?"

"They don't know how." The voice of Damon Salvatore boomed from behind them just as he strolled up. His eyes were fixed on Bonnie, then he glanced at Riley. The two had a somewhat strained friendship, but he did care about her, deep down. "I can give Caroline some blood."

At the mention of Damon giving Caroline his vampire blood to heal her, Elena began to shake her head. "No. No way."

"No, just enough to heal her. She'll be safe in the hospital. It'll be out of her system in a day. She'll be better, Elena."

"Do it," Riley told the vampire without a second thought. Once she saw the surprised looks on both of her best friend's faces, she shrugged. "What? He's right. His blood will heal her and she's our best friend. We can't let her die."

Bonnie nodded slowly, whilst Elena reminded silent. "Do it."

A flicker of a smirk swept across Damon's lips once he noticed he had the upper hand. "If I do this, you and me, call a truce?"

"No. But, you'll do it anyway. For Riley." Bonnie's eyes were locked with the Salvatore, and they engaged in a moment of silent stares. After a few moments, Bonnie grabbed Elena's hand and wandered off down the hall.

"You know, just because you're going to heal Caroline, doesn't mean I like you," Riley commented quietly as she led Damon into Caroline's hospital room. Her eyes fixed on the blonde female, who laid asleep in the bed with dozens of machines plugged into her. "Oh, my God."

"Riley. She's going to be fine." The Salvatore vampire told the witch with a stern tone of voice before he brought his wrist up to his mouth and bit it. Within a few moments, he had lifted his blood up toward Caroline's mouth.