𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

CHAPTER TWELVE | DANGEROUS LIAISONS

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE MOMENT THAT REBEKAH WAS UNDAGGERED, SHE CAME AFTER ELENA. Fortunately, Elijah was there to stop the blonde Original vampire from tearing Elena apart. Elijah also revealed who was laying in the locked coffin Klaus was so terrified of parting with. It was their mother, Esther— the Original witch herself. Once Elena had learned of the information, she called over Stefan, Damon, and Riley to explain.

"It was their mother, Esther, who was sealed in that coffin," Elena told her friends with a knowing look on her face as she watched their eyebrows furrow with confusion.

Stefan raised an eyebrow. "As in the Original witch?"

"What?" Damon mumbled with a dumbfounded look. "How is she even alive? I thought her Hybrid freak of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago."

"I don't think the how is really the issue here, it's more the why. I mean, Esther's known as the Original witch. It's not a far-fetched assumption to guess that she probably has connections with other witches." Riley simply answered Damon's question with a shrug.

Elena nodded slowly with her gaze on the strawberry-blonde witch. "Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family. Including Klaus."

"She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus."

"Well, not anymore." Elena sighed. "At least, not according to Elijah."

"No. That's got to be more to this." Riley shook her head in disbelief as she folded her arms over her chest. "The coffin was the only thing that stopped Klaus from tearing all of us apart."

"Anyone else feeling a little used right now?" The eldest Salvatore raised an eyebrow with a pointed look.

"Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us," Elena told the rest of the group as the doorbell rang throughout the house. "I believe him." She shrugged and disappeared down the hall to answer the door. Within a few seconds, Elena returned back into the kitchen with two envelopes in her hand. "Riley. This one's for you."

The strawberry-blonde hesitantly took the envelope which had her name written across it and opened it. "Huh. It's an invitation. Please join the Mikaelson family this evening, at seven o'clock, for dancing, cocktails, and celebration."

Stefan furrowed his brows. "Who the hell are the Mikaelsons?"

"The Original family."

"It's not bad enough they're moving into town, now they want a housewarming gift?" Damon scoffed in disbelief at the fact that Elena and Riley had both been invited. He glanced at his girlfriend. "Don't even think about going."