𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

CHAPTER THREE | THE END OF THE AFFAIR

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A HEAVY SIGH LEFT THE STRAWBERY-BLONDE'S LIPS AS SHE WANDERED DOWN THE STAIRCASE AND INTO THE KITCHEN. Riley knew that she was going to be absolutely no help to anyone if she continued to wallow in this pit she dropped herself in, so she decided to start her day properly— with breakfast, something she neglected to have whilst Stefan had disappeared. The pair usually had breakfast together since she started living at the Salvatore's and it felt strange to eat without him.

"Mornin'," Damon called out toward his girlfriend as he wandered straight over to her and placed a kiss on the side of her head. Then, he raised an eyebrow and looked over her shoulder at the toast she was preparing. "Wow. You're eating? I'm impressed."

"I figured I'd get myself back on track. I'm no good to anyone the way I've been lately." Riley simply shrugged as she twirled around to face her boyfriend, who seemed strangely upbeat all things considered. "What's with you? You seem awfully chipper."

"That's because I am," Damon smirked.

"Oh? And, why is that?" The strawberry-blonde raised an eyebrow just as the toast shot up from the toaster. She placed it down and began to spread a thin layer of butter across it. "You haven't been terrorizing the locals again, have you?

"What? No." The Salvatore vampire scrunched up his face in disbelief whilst the witch took her first bite of toast. "Why would you even think that?"

"Uh— does there need to be a reason?" Riley tilted her head with a raised eyebrow.

"Okay. Well, if you're gonna be like that, I guess you don't wanna come with Elena and me to bring Stefan home." The Salvatore started out of the room but paused just before he reached the door.

"Damon, stop it." Riley rolled her eyes and dropped her toast back onto the plate before she brought a glass of Orange Juice up to her lips. "Where is he?"

"Chicago." Damon sang.

"Why the hell would he be there?"

"I don't know. I'm not a mind reader, okay? Just grab some clothes and let's get going." Damon shrugged, then his eyes cast to the toast. "Uh— finish your breakfast first though, okay?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Damon and Riley had picked Elena up from the Gilbert residence and then hit the road to Chicago. Riley prayed that once they found Stefan, he would be willing to come back home, but part of her knew she was only kidding herself.

"I sure hope we can find him because it would suck if the last memento of Stefan was that crappy old necklace." Damon scoffed to himself whilst his eyes were drawn to Elena, who was in the backseat fiddling with the vervain necklace Stefan had given her.