𝐒𝐈𝐗

CHAPTER SIX | PLAN B

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A LOT HAD HAPPENED IN THE LAST TWENTY-FOUR HOURS THAT MADE RILEY'S HEAD SPIN. Caroline had admitted that Katherine had been threatening Matt so that she would report back to her on everything that Stefan and Elena did. And, since Liz found out that Caroline was a vampire, they decided their only option was to compel her once the vervain was out of her system. So, Liz was in the basement cellar, where there was not a drop of vervain insight.

"Morning, Care," Riley called out the minute she opened the door to the Salvatore house and saw the blonde vampire seated on the couch in front of her. "How's your Mom?"

"I don't know. She just sits there." Caroline shrugged. Admittedly, Liz was having a hard time coming to terms with what her daughter was, and the fact that the Caroline she knew was very much still alive. "She won't even talk to me."

"I know that this isn't what you wanna hear, but think of it this way. She's just basically found out that her daughter died, and she didn't even know. Then, to top it all off, she's found out you're actually alive but you eat people." Riley tilted her head toward the blonde vampire. "She's spent her entire life under the impression that all vampires are evil monsters, it's gonna take some time to rewire that inside her brain."

"God. Part of me wishes I could just compel her to accept me, you know?" Caroline sighed heavily.

"But, then part of you would know that it wasn't genuine. She has to want to do it, Caroline." As Riley spoke, the blonde nodded. "Where is everyone, anyway?"

"Uh— Stefan's at the Lockwood's. And, Damon's God knows where." The blonde vampire vaguely answered, then furrowed her brows. "So, you and Damon— did that friendship kinda sneak up on you?"

"What'd you mean?" Riley raised an eyebrow with confusion spread across her face.

"You just— you make dealing with all of this so easy. You're best friends with Stefan, and now you're even friends with the psychotic brother that snaps and kills people without thinking." Caroline nervously chuckled. "You, of all people, accepted Damon after he's done the unthinkable. I can't even get my own mother to accept me."

"Go down there. Tell her your story, and I bet she'll be willing to listen." Riley offered up. "I mean, it's not like she's got anything else to be doing down there, right? The least she could do is hear you out before all of this gets scrubbed from her brain."

"Okay." Caroline lifted herself up to her feet, took a deep breath, and smiled. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck," Riley called out to her friend, who had wandered in the direction of the staircase which led to the basement. A mere five seconds later, the front door swung open to reveal Damon with an unconscious Mason Lockwood draped over his shoulder and Bonnie at his side. "What the—"