shao jun

( captain america: the winter soldier )

★ 

THE AWKWARD CAR ride was just that, awkward. Chloe was stuck in between Jasper and the door, her hood up. Before getting into the car, she refused to pull her hood down in the presence of the enemy. No HYDRA agent needed to know about her organization, ever. 

If it was up to her, she would've just rolled out of the car right then and there.

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks," Jasper said, breaking the ice. Chloe rolled her eyes, fiddling with the gauntlet on her left wrist. To kill Sitwell, or not to kill, that was the question.

"Then why don't you try sticking a cork in it?" Sam snapped from the front.

Chloe smirked. The question of the century, more like.

"Insight's launching in sixteen hours," Natasha announced.

"I know," Steve replied. "We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the helicarriers directly."

"What?" Jasper asked. "That is a terrible, terrible idea."

A thud sounded from the hood of the car and Chloe perked up. Suddenly, Jasper was grabbed from the car and thrown into the path of a semi-truck. Natasha climbed into the front seat, grabbed Steve's head into her chest, and kicked Sam out of the way. 

Chloe had just enough time to dodge the bullets entering the vehicle. Steve slammed the breaks, flinging whoever was on the top onto the streets.

Chloe's eyes widened as the figure stood up with a notorious metal arm, long hair, and a red star.

The Winter Soldier.

Natasha grabbed her gun and prepared to fire, but before she could, the car was pushed towards the Winter Soldier, who Chloe now knew to be Bucky Barnes. The soldier jumped onto the top of the car, digging his hand into the metal. Sam hit the breaks, hoping to get the soldier off, but instead gets the steering wheel ripped out of Steve's hands. "Shit!"

"Hang on!" Steve yelled, grabbing his shield, Natasha, and Sam.

Chloe knew then and there that Steve trusted her enough to get herself out. Chloe slammed her car door open as the three others smashed the passenger door, using it as a sled for the harsh concrete. 

Chloe, rolling into a crouching position, lifted her head to see the car demolished. She sighed, my job never ends.

She stood, flicking out her blade and stabbing a male HYDRA agent behind her. Chloe knew Steve and Natasha knew she could take care of herself and find a way to help in her own area.

Explosions went off as the Assassin continued her fight. She used a flurry of weapons, from her knife to her blade. Stab, dodge, kill, repeat- stab, dodge, kill, repeat.

Once Chloe found herself at a loss of enemies, she looked around. None of her allies were in her line of sight. She climbed down the pillar of the bridge, slipping in between cars and buses. Deciding a street view probably wasn't the best, Chloe climbed a building to get a better vantage point. 

Questions swam through her head: did they leave her behind by accident? Purpose? 

She ran to the edge of the building to see the Winter Soldier and Steve fighting it off down on the streets below. Natasha and Sam were nowhere in sight. 

Chloe wanted to intervene, she really did. Although she had known Steve for a short period of time, she wanted to protect him from the harsh reality of the world. She knew his life was about to get that much harder.

So she stayed behind. Chloe stayed behind as Steve delivered the revealing blow. She stayed behind when Natasha shot Barnes with a grenade launcher.  She stayed in the shadows and watched from the shadows as her three allies were arrested by HYDRA.

It was until Chloe miraculously met the eyes of Natasha, who gave her a small nod, that she finally understood.

She was left behind for a reason, to get help. To be their help.

Who was she to deny that?

★ 

Chloe looked down at the array of weapons that would accompany her on her missions. Throwing knives, her bow, her sword, her gauntlet, they were all there staring back at her.  

Did she have to do this?

The question had been swimming through Chloe's head for the past forty-five minutes. If she wanted to, she could leave this behind, move on with her life. No SHIELD, no HYDRA, nothing. Just her and her past life. 

However, she knew if she did that, not only would she be letting her allies down, but also her fellow Assassins and millions of innocent lives that could be taken at any moment. 

She couldn't, wouldn't allow that.

Chloe inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. She could do this. If not for her, then for the thousands of civilians who needed her help, whether they knew it or not.

First came the bow and arrows, then the sword. She strapped knives to her thigh and small trinkets to where they would fit. Finally, she strapped her gauntlet to her left arm, the cool material warming up at the impact. 

Chloe turned around to face Alex. He smiled and nodded, handing her an earpiece. Smiling in response, she applied it and turned it on.

"Nervous?"

"I don't get nervous."

"Sure, and I'm the Queen of England."

Chloe rolled her eyes, finishing the last straps for her gauntlet. She looked up at Alex.

"Good luck," He smiled, a wink following soon after.

Chloe smiled. The familiar phrase was a small comfort she unknowingly needed.

The Frye turned towards the exit, pulling up her red hood in the process. She was prepared. No one was going to get in her way, whether they be SHIELD or HYDRA, because she had to do this, for the sake of her family and her friends.

No going back now.

  ★

Are you ready?

edited: 2/24/18

you better be ;)

peace,

aidan.