bartholomew roberts

( avengers: infinity war )

"THE STRUCTURE IS polymorphic."

Chloe Frye hovered in the background as Shuri and Bruce examined Vision in the princess's lab. After the team said their hellos to Bucky― a simple smile was shared between the two― the group was ushered into one of the many levels of Princess Shuri's multi-layered lab. 

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially," Bruce confirmed.

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?"

A beat of silence.

"Because... we didn't think of it?"

"I'm sure you did your best."

The Assassin snickered.

Wanda glanced back at Chloe before setting her attention to Shuri. "Can you do it?"

Shuri hesitated for a moment. "Yes, but there are more than two trillion neurons here. One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures. It will take time, brother."

T'Challa nodded.

"How long?" Steve asked.

"As long as you can give me."

Okoye's Kimoyo beads started trilling, and the alarm went off. A hologram of Earth and the country's defenses appeared over the General's hand. "Something's entered the atmosphere."

"Hey, Cap, we got a situation here."

A crash echoed through the comms.

"God, I love this place."

"Yeah, don't start celebrating yet, guys. We got more incoming outside the dome!"

Chloe watched as ships― do you think aliens and their isosceles ships understand geometry? Shut up, Alex!― crashed down in the forest outside of the barrier. Her fingers gripped her bow just a little tighter and exchanged a glance with Nat.

"It's too late," Vision said, sitting up with help from Shuri. "We need to destroy the stone now."

Natasha snapped around. "Vision, get your ass back on the table."

"We will hold them off," the King declared.

"Wanda, as soon as that stone's out of his head... you blow it to hell."