madeleine de l'isle

( avengers: infinity war )

WE WORK IN the dark to serve the light.

It was safe to say that Chloe had absolutely no clue as to where her previous team was located. After the events that took place in London, the woman had lost contact with her former team― merely guessing they dropped off the map and were taking a vacation in the Bahamas without her, the bastards.

Sure, she could find another base after the events approaching took place, and she could reintegrate herself into the work and forget about the last seventy-two hours in peace, but Chloe had only known the D.C. base ever since she was about fifteen. Spending roughly seven years in one spot with rare movement tended to make the heart grow expectant.

Never again would she have the same secret stash of sodas, never again would she have the same crappy futon in the corner of her office, never again would she be able to challenge her self-appointed rival, never again would she―

―She cut herself off from that train of thought and focused on her arm. The rusted metal that stayed her blade was a deep purple, surrounded by blue and red. Her fingers traced the mechanics that made up the weapon by habit, her brain switching from one hurdle to the next.

First, she needed to find a home. Maybe start a new life outside of the D.C. metropolitan area, maybe leave the states altogether. Second, Chloe needed to find a way to deal with the centuries worth of weapons sitting in a hump surrounded by natural elements and mental instability the Assassin didn't dare touch. A third was yet to be decided, but it was probably something along the lines of dealing with the curious and sympathetic glances she had been receiving ever since the Captain had announced they needed to go to Wakanda if they wanted to save the robot that the witch was dating.

How this had turned out to be Chloe's life was beyond comprehension.

However, by the time the twenty-one-year-old had felt the small nudging of another's brain in her own, the Assassin looked up at Wanda with a raised eyebrow. Looking sheepish, the slightly older woman sat across from Chloe with a mug of tea cupped in her hands.

"I apologize for being forward," Wanda muttered as Steve and Natasha passed by with a few boxes. "You just seem... troubled."

A small smile graced her face. "Understatement of the century."

The witch chuckled, letting the conversation drop into a comfortable, yet heavy silence― until another prod.

"Wanda, if you want to know what's going on in my mind, just ask."

A soft smile. "I think they wouldn't mind having you stay around until you could find your feet."

Chloe leaned back in her chair and stared at the floor. Her thoughts screeched to a halt as one final thought crossed her mind. Yes, they might be willing to have her stay, but what would happen if she did?