eivor

( avengers: endgame )

EPILOGUE; WEEKS LATER

FIRE DANCED IN her eyes as the pyre went up in flames, the friends and family of one Natasha Romanoff surrounding it.

It took quite a few favors and pulling several strings, but Chloe managed to give Natasha an Assassin's goodbye. Alcohol was passed around and stories were shared of the woman and all she did. Laughs were loud and tears were shed.

"Necklace is new," Sam said, stepping to her side as Bucky stood on the other side of her. "Where did you get it?"

"Family heirloom of sorts. Thank you for coming."

"Thanks for making it happen."

She nodded. "What have you been up to?"

"We've been helping where we can. There's a lot still left to do," Bucky said. "What about you?"

"Same for us. Our people are trying to get a solid foundation before starting anything major. And... I was finally able to give Alex a ceremony. There wasn't a body to bury, but he has a headstone next to his family."

"I'm sorry, Chloe."

She cleared her throat and gave them both a nod.

The trio watched the pyre and those surrounding it.

Sam grabbed her attention by handing out a burner phone.

Chloe quirked an eyebrow. "Usually this happens the other way around."

He snorted, placing the phone in her hand. "In case you need help."

She stared at him.

"Or if we need your help," Bucky grinned.

"That's better. What makes you so sure I'll respond?"

"Call it a feeling."

"Sure."

The trio watched the flames rise into the clear sky, as the stars brightened in its wake.

THE END.

12/22/20.

I started this project years ago, and I never had any intention of abandoning it. Thank you to everyone who has stuck with me through the good and the bad. Your support through all of this has been the main reason I have made it to the end.

This has been one crazy year. In case I don't see you again, I wish you the best of life and what it has to offer.

peace,

aidan.