lucy thorne

( the intrepid sister )

STAKEOUTS.

CHLOE ABSOLUTELY hated them. 

She was a woman of action. Sure, some missions required the element of surprise, especially to get the jump on a target, but patience was definitely not a virtue she possessed― in and out was her preferred method of execution.

But staking out an ex-scientist for seven hours on top of a seemingly harmless rooftop with another woman who was made for waiting was not how Chloe wanted to spend her time. 

At that moment, the twenty-one-year-old loathed how Evie Frye could stay at the edge of the building― standing, kneeling, sitting, didn't matter― and not move a single muscle. The woman herself was statuesque, a sight to behold. No wonder they weren't caught yet― even if Evie found herself in someone's line of sight, they probably just assumed they saw another London statue overlooking the cobblestone streets.

The afternoon sun was beating down on the duo, and Chloe questioned the purpose of their mission for the tenth time in the last hour. 

God, she wanted to chase something.

"Is he―?"

"―No."

"Not even―?"

"―Not yet."

The Assassin groaned, throwing a small pebble against the wall. "'m bored."

"Watch the clouds."

"It's supposed to be clear all day!"

No response.

Chloe felt the urge to groan louder but imagined Evie banishing her back to Henry's curio shop, which was worse. Never again.

"Will you at least come down from the edge? You're making me antsy."

"How will we know where to find him if we can't see him? We need to stay vigilant."

She allowed a beat to pass, then hauled herself to her feet. "Alrighty. If this guy went into his job about four hours ago, then we still have three hours for a traditional workday. Is anything important happening today?"

"Not particularly."

Chloe beamed, walking up to Evie's side. "So, then there's no particular reason to be scaring civvies down below. Unless, that's what you've been doing this whole time, to which I can't really blame you―"

The eldest twin sighed, finally moving her head. A second passed before the woman nodded to herself and strode past Chloe to where the latter had been sitting for the past day. As Evie leaned back against the side of the ledge, Chloe leaned back against the ledge the former had been perching off of, lowering herself down.